The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2003, 09:14 AM   #1
the-wreck

Desperate-Runing Problem, Can't figure out

Hi
I have a runing problem thats driving me nuts.

Its a 350, (came with truck and was rebuilt recently), performer cam, intake, and carb, Summit HEI distributer, headers.

Problem
NO POWER. The thing is a slug and I can't figure out why. Never had a problem with a 350. They usually run decent no matter what. The only thing I see is the fuel pressure gauge needle swings or pulses widly. So much so you can't read it.

Occasional problem: After start up after its been run and sat for 30 minutes or so it starts up runs rough, makes a weirdsquelling noise, wont rev and dies. If I try and start it up right away i get a fire in the carb. I have yet to hear a cough through the carb but it must be happening.

Any ideas. Anything would be appreciated. Its no fun to drive.
Thank you
the-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 10:06 AM   #2
Class of 69

Running problem

Well, you opened up a can of worms now!!!..or slugs. I would start in the distributor... make sure any mechanical advance is free, and operating..could be stuck in full advance or any stage there of due to incorrect rotor or installation of rotor. If HEI is older, could just be gummed up. After that, get a timing light on it! Set the initial advance to spec. and try it . If the cam you have is fairly warm, you may need to advance the initial timing to over come any valve lap. Set the timing up by 2 degrees at a time, and test drive to see if your gaining any thing. I've had as much as 20 degrees initial advance on a hot cam to get the responce, and performance. The carb fire!!! Not good ...if it's a holley or similar with a power valve.. better plan on replacing the power valve. Usually a backfire in the carb will take it out. Check and set the float adjustments at the same time. Plenty to start with...could go on all day speculating...such as did the engine builder get the cam to crank timing right??? and on and on. If this doesn't help we'll move on to more fun things Good Luck!!!
Class of 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Had the same problem...a couple of times, too much monkeying around. Anyway, Class of 69 is right all the way. My problem ended up being bad points (first time). Next time, after installing elec. ignition, distributor got put in one notch the wrong way! Threw things off a little (had fire shoot out of the carb, hit the hood, and hit my face, burned off part of the eye brow)

Anyway, Sticker on my air breather says stock 350 should be set at 7 or 8 degrees btc. Good luck. Let us know how it's coming.

Ro

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
the-wreck

I had thought it was timing. The distributer is pretty new. I adjusted by ear, running as much advance as I could with out too much detonation. I'll look over the timing again.
the-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 12:20 PM   #5
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Also, I think my fuel pressure guage jumps around also. I will check over lunch (if it isn't raining hard) and get back to you.

Ro

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:51 PM   #6
oldsub86

Would guess timing of some sort. If not the distributor then the cam. Who put the motor together? If they are out on the timing of the cam it might not improve performance. sometimes people do things they have heard will improve power but it doesn't.