The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
38chevyhotrod

wind noise reduction?

Past weekend I went to a meeting for the first time with my suburban.
This was also the first time to drive longer times at highway speeds.
At first I thought I could just ignore it after a while but I started getting more and more annoyed by the wind noise at my front side windows.

I cant really pinpoint where the noise is exactly coming from.
Does any of you guys have the same problem? I did put all new weatherstripping in the burb.

Is there anything that i can do about it other than stay under the 50 to 60 mph?

http://www.arnoldscustoms.com
38chevyhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Hart_Rod

Re: wind noise reduction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38chevyhotrod View Post
Is there anything that i can do about it other than stay under the 50 to 60 mph?
The previous owner of my suburban sealed the wing vents up with clear polyurethane, . No wind noise, but............ Or you could always do what I do for most anoying rattles or noises - turn my stereo up louder, .

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-20-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
38chevyhotrod

I taped one window vent off to try if that solved the problem but it didn't help.
That stereo thing sure helps, I did that because otherwise I would have gone crazy.
It also solved the problem of my wife talking too much, I could not here her anymore because of the loud music.

Last edited by 38chevyhotrod; 04-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
DANTIP

New vent window rubber has fixed mine. I hate the work and frustration related to replacing vent window rubber, but, I hate wind noise even more!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
4x4Poet

Clip on vent shades work great. I can crack a window up to about two inches with little increase in wind noise.

New factory style door rubber made a difference, as well. I did each at different times so I was able to note both improvements. Now I still have some wind noise, though much less than before the two improvements. I want to switch to clip-on door rubber next. Thicker stuff for better sealing.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Putting new door seals in on the 71 truck back when I had it repainted was nice. After a bunch of drives with the wind noise I got inside the truck and looked real good around the seal. The back side of the door that opens I found the seal lip was bent in to much. I took a block of wood and a hammer to it and it stoped the noise. Take your finger and if you can press the rubber and see daylight then this trick should work for you.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Is it whistling or just humming a tune?I guess I`m used to these old vehicles and still amazed how quiet newer trucks are.I added vent shades to my`92 so I could hear wind.
There`s always the 1pc. conversion?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet View Post
..... I can crack a window up to about two inches with little increase in wind noise......
Mine has so much wind noise I could open them all the way and not notice a difference.

I agree with special-K. Most of these trucks were not made for highway creature comforts and I doubt the engineers put them through wind tunnels for noise testing.

Some wind noise I just put up with... That's the way trucks were when I was growing up.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Skirkpat

Drill a couple of small holes in your exaust pipe, right in front of the muffler, or better yet, just cut the muffler off....it won't solve the wind noise, but it will be lower on the " annoying sounds" list !!!

The list will now be....

1) Exaust too loud
2) Wife complainig about # 1
3) wind noise.....................

See now the wind is hardly even worth mentioning !!!
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
38chevyhotrod

I have all new rubbers in the suburban, that means new vent window rubbers also. There is no air coming in to the cab but it is only the noise of air whistling around an edge or something.
Of course I understand that it is not a new truck and there is more noise that modern cars but i was wondering if there is something that can be done to reduce it without ruining the looks of a clean cab.

I did notice that the upper front edge on both doors stick further out than they should be. I had to fill the rubber to make sure it closed up good.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
38chevyhotrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Poet View Post
Clip on vent shades work great. I can crack a window up to about two inches with little increase in wind noise.

New factory style door rubber made a difference, as well. I did each at different times so I was able to note both improvements. Now I still have some wind noise, though much less than before the two improvements. I want to switch to clip-on door rubber next. Thicker stuff for better sealing.
Do you have pictures of that.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

You also need to remember that the sound deadening in newer vehicles is more thorough.There's no insulation/sound deadening material in the roof,doors and less in the floor than newer rides.You also have the mirror differences and they may be some of the problem.So the noise you do have is not muted by these things.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
bigsnookmaster

I agree with PanelDeland.Sound deadener in all the right places will make alot of the noise go away. I used Second Skin Damplifier Pro throughout my cab,under the dash,on the inner firewall,and on the inside of my doors.M<ade a real big difference.Also check for any open holes in the firewall or floorboard,etc.My .02 Good Luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote