The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
51 68CHEVY

Thumbs up question on suicide drs on 54 CHEVY TRK

Has anybody done a suicide door conversion on any 47-54 chevy trucks. If so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gary
51 68CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
robin58

Re: question on suicide drs on 54 CHEVY TRK

Did it on my 53. Specifically what are you looking for? I used Autoloc hinges on mine, however had I known about them sooner I would have used a different manufacturer or simply swapped original hinges around. Not because of the quality I hasten to add, but because the Autoloc hinges I used (along with most others I've seen) tend to be too wide for easy use. There are a few manufacturers that make a narrower set which makes it easier to install the hinges aligned vertically and at the same time set them far enough apart. Hagen Street Rods is one supplier who sells the narrower ones (the receiver tube is 2" instead of the more common 3" to which you have to add the 1/2" taken up by the pin it swings on) but I am sure there are plenty of others. If you use the wider ones about the furthest apart you can get the hinges is 14.5" which isn't much. If it's your first time suiciding doors, I'd stay away from cheaping out and making original hinges work. It's far easier to leave the door on its original hinges while tack welding everything in place for your new hinges. At least doing it this way, you'll know everything is squared up.

The basics of suicide doors really don't vary so the generic guide at suicidedoors can really be followed. Like stressed there, additional door support should be done to stop them from sagging. I also added support to the pillar for the hinges.

I also installed a selflocking deadbolt setup (again from Autoloc item DL2550) that automatically engages once the vehicle is put in drive. I'd recommend putting something similar in just for safety's sake. A manual setup is just as easily accomplished.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
mr48chev

I cut most of the post (s) out of a junk cab and then swapped them into my cab side for side.
That was the easy part. Getting the hinges to fit in the doors right is the pain. I almost think it would have been easier to cut the top portion off the doors and swap the doors side to side and weld them back together.
I did this in 1982 I think.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
fleetsidefive8

great topic! not to steal post...but does anyone have pictures of work in progress, or used original hinges. told their best for door weight.?? advice appreciated.1956 good luck with your doors.
fleetsidefive8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
robin58

I used to have a bookmark to someone who'd done it with a 56 but his site seems to be gone. This thread shows how to do it on a 53-55 Fawd:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11640

Same principles apply. This would be the method I assume mr48chev used.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
51 68CHEVY

Mr 48 chevy thats not a bad idea all the hinge pockets would be all stock for the hinge and alot stronger. Thanks anybody else have an ideas plese post i"m taken it all in. Thanks gary 54
51 68CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
fleetsidefive8

after some time to clean up parts.....looks like I can use stock 56 hinge with slight upper hinge mods for the Suicide. BUTT....the doors only openstock angle about 70 degrees. I think this is Ok. welcome imput before the surgery.
fleetsidefive8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
ratrodmiller

hello ,i swapped door pillars on my 1950 ad to make my truck suicide doors .I have pics on my profile, It worked out great i used bear claw latches to complete the conversion.
ratrodmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
chevygurly

Autoloc does make a hinge that they recommend for minitrucks. The hinge is smaller. They call it the hidden hinge.

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...d=hdhin&r=5010
chevygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
fuzzyman
removed for having dual accounts with a suspended member

I saw some the other day the doors look cool as hell on any 50's chevy truck, I am thinking about putting it on my 51
Attached Images

fuzzyman is offline   Reply With Quote