The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
7T1BURB

Unhappy Oil Leak

In preparation for engine reinstallation, tonight I filled up the rebuilt 307 with oil prior to priming the oiling system. Rotated crank while doing the priming. Oil pressure great (60psi) and all rockers are oiling. However, discovered a leak (drip) at front of NEW GM Oil Pan..using NEW Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket (#64016 for 1957-74 265-400 Engines) ...NEW Mr. Gasket timing cover. Any suggestions welcomed before I tear it down...Could it possibly be the POS Mr. Gasket Timing Cover????? Thanks!
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 02:57 AM   #2
Hooter
My other Love

do u have a chrome timing chian cover, those things can be poo, sometimes you dont get a good seal on the corners of the pan, I always like to put a SMALL dab of silicone in those corners

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:57 AM   #3
7T1BURB

Unhappy

Yup- its a chrome one (that will be going bye-bye this AM). As per the Fel-Pro instructions, I used a little dab on each corner yet it weeped in the front which leads me to believe that the timing chain cover may well be the culprit....any other thoughts from anyone???? "THANKS" for taking the time to respond HOOTER!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:40 AM   #4
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

I used regular gaskets on everything, but I also put a layer of liquid gasket on everything...except the heads, manual said not to do that on the heads. Anyway, only leaks I have are the valve cover gaskets, just because I have had them off about 4 times. I would glue up everything. However, I was luckey enough to find liquid gasket the same color as my engine. What do you use for chrome? Just my .02

Ro

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #5
7T1BURB

Thumbs up

PROBLEM SOLVED! The key to solving the oil leak problem was that I am using a NEW GM OIL PAN....the original 1971 307 oil pan used the "thin" seal" which had a tendency to leak...in an effort to solve this problem, GM went to a thick front seal with the "new" pan design in 74-75. I failed to check front seal to pan clearance with a feeler gauge prior to "oiling" to determine seal thickness required. The Fel-Pro gasket (one piece) I used (OS 34509T) was for original 307 pan and did not seal properly....I should have used Fel-Pro OS 34510T! This was simply a matter of incorrect owner "headspace and timing"....we live and learn!! Thanks to all who provided input.........on with the project....