The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
CRguy

Question 1970 C10 iginton problem

hi im 16 going to be 17 and my dad died a couple years ago and i got his truck, i installed a tach but i arched the wires a couple times when connecting the wires to the tach switching them to get the tach to work while the truck was running then it died and now i have no spark to the plugs but I have power to the coil, I think i fried the iginiton module. When I was 12 i remember my dad buying a crane cams point to electronic kit so i think i fried the module how would I tell if the module is fried? I heard crane dosen't make them any more it's an XR-i module i belive
CRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
dznucks

Re: 1970 C10 iginton problem

you more than likely blew a fuse. That would be the simplest thing to check first. you might have fried the module. you can take it to the parts store and they can test it.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRguy View Post
........ i installed a tach but i arched the wires a couple times when connecting the wires to the tach switching them to get the tach to work while the truck was running then it died and now i have no spark to the plugs but I have power to the coil, I think i fried the iginiton module......
Welcome to the forum. Good to see you starting at a young age.

One thing we find out real quick is that once you see a spark, something may have already been damaged. One of the first thing I learned after popping my shoulder out of socket with a spark from the distributor was to make sure battery is disconnected when working with the electical/ignition system. So take precautions...

When trouble shooting ignition problems and after making sure I'm getting 12vdc to the distributor, I work myself backwards. Start at the spark plug end and then the distributor cap and on down into the module.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited by 68gmsee; 04-18-2009 at 10:37 AM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
CRguy

the ignition is unfused which is why is think i fried something
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
CRguy

gonna talk to my auto instructorto see what he says possibly pull distributor monday.

Pulling the distributor I have to get motor on #1 cylinder on TDC and then take off hold down clamp to remove distibutor
Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
CRguy

latest update pulled distributor called Crane had to put distributor back in hook everything back up then crank engine with test light on ground and on Negative side of coil, so the Module passed my instructor thinks it might be the coil.