The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
Black-Dragon

neutral safty switch

i put in a new neutral safety switch in cause i can start my truck in drive and my reverse lights wont work and that didn't do the job was told it would any suggestions
Black-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
YELTRK68

Re: neutral safty switch

hello son
YELTRK68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
mr48chev

Re: neutral safty switch

Ok I think you need to clarify that a bit.

From what I am reading you put in a new neutral safety switch in the truck and it starts in drive and you still don't have the backup lights working.

Did you adjust the switch so that it is in the right position to start in park and neutral?

It's pretty easy to break the pin off the switch if you don't have it adjusted correctly or installed correctly.

I'd start by loosening the two screws on the switch enough to slip the switch back and forth and then put the truck in park and move the switch so that the truck will start in park. Tighten the screws and then see if it still will start in park and if it will start in neutral. When you get it set so that it starts in both and neutral the backup lights should also be set correctly.
If they still don't work, take a test light and with the key on and the truck in reverse check to see that you have power to and through the switch and then check at the light sockets.
You can follow the wire from the backup light socket to the plug on the rear crossmember of the frame and check to see that you are getting power there if you don't have power to the socket.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote