The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
maxreps

window tint

I am painting my 76 step satin black but am not sure if I should use the standard smoke tint or a mirrored tint. Anyone have pics of a similar color truck with either regular or mirrored tint? I looked around online to see if there was an interactive tool where you can pick the vehicle & it's color then see how diff tint looks on it(kinda like the ones for wheels).
maxreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
bumslie75

Re: window tint

I saw go with the dark mirrored tent just my .02cents
bumslie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
maxreps

You mean the kind that looks like you're looking in a mirror right, not the reflective kind that you can still see through... my woman suggested that but several opinions are always great!

thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
JohnC

I would go with the dark smoke tint. I'm not a big fan of the mirrored tint. Just my opinion.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

What does your state allow for tint? That is the deciding factor in my area. If the local puercos are centering on tint, then the mirrored is a thing that makes you a definite target.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
jwa76fleetside

no mirror tint!
2013 Escalade
2008 Harley
jwa76fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
morcey2

If you get the mirror tint, you risk watching some dude use your window as a mirror to make sure his nostrils are clean. I was in the passengers seat of a friends maxima when a guy walking past decided that the window was perfect for ensuring that all of his "drilling" was successful. When he was done, he walked past the front of the car, turned, and noticed us. Dave hit the horn just at the right time, about a half-second after he got the 'did-they-see-that?' look. He jumped about 3 feet, turned about 16 shades of red, and ran into the store. Neither one of us could breath for about 5 minutes because we were laughing too hard.

That, and mirror tint looks funny.

Matt

Last edited by morcey2; 04-27-2009 at 12:43 PM.
morcey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM   #8
maxreps

I re-read the laws and they say 35% (min 32) except on rear window which can be anything since it's a truck. They also made a change from a few years ago saying that windshield strips must follow the same guidelines as side windows. They used to only say that it couldn't be any further down the windshield than 5" or AS1 line.. interesting.
I thought that there was a "year exception" for vehicles saying that if they were older than a certain year it didn't matter but looks like that is gone now.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxreps View Post
I re-read the laws and they say 35% (min 32) except on rear window which can be anything since it's a truck. They also made a change from a few years ago saying that windshield strips must follow the same guidelines as side windows. They used to only say that it couldn't be any further down the windshield than 5" or AS1 line.. interesting.
I thought that there was a "year exception" for vehicles saying that if they were older than a certain year it didn't matter but looks like that is gone now.

Those laws sounds like my state's laws. The cops love guys that are pushing the limit. Once stopped, that opens the door for other inspections. Ride height, lights, stereo, and you name it.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Ga is 35% too. They kept changing the laws almost yearly for a while so I went with 35% since it always comes back to that.

Though I got away with 2% an all my windows and a 10 inch windshield strip on an old buick I had for several years except for once a really young cop pulled me over for it, no ticket though.

I don't like the mirror tint IMO. smoke looks good on anything.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote