The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Razz2o4

Motor swap Questions

Fair warning, this is going to be lengthy.

I just installed a used, but 0 mile ZZ4 into my 86 LWB truck. It was in an 85 SWB project that I bought for 3000. Okay, onto my truck.
I got the swap done, and everything hooked up. I have been playing HELL trying to get this thing dialed in. I am running a 750 Edelbrock at the current time but am not having a whole lot of luck. I am running 11 deg of timing, but not sure what it is a full yet. I have a flex fan and HATE working around it when the truck is running. Flex fans just give me the hebe gebe's. Anyways, I have the truck setup where at a rest I can blip the throttle and it proves to be the most responsive motor I have ever had all the way up to 4K RPM. It just snaps right up, but the second I put a load on it, it hesitates and stutters. Is it getting too much fuel? The guy I got the carb from went up in jets one step and also changed out the springs. My other question is, I have not changed any brackets for my 700R4. Is it true that I have to get a new TV cable (a longer one) and the different arm for the carb for the telemetry? Also, the other question, wich might have something to do with the tv cable, once I get this thing on the road, it just stumbles and cuts out. No back fire issues, but it just bogs bad at anything past 1/8 throttle. Sorry for the long post, but I just am getting irritated with all these issues.
Razz2o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Motor swap Questions

Well come to the site. Checkout my pictures. I love the ZZ4. It moves my truck with so much easy.

I modified several items to fit it into my truck. Yes I use the TV carb fitting. I even use the intake bracket holder.

Base timing is 10 degrees at 800 RPMs. You better ditch the flex fan now!! Someone just posted a pitcure of a fan blade through the hood!

I run a 1406 carb on my ZZ4. I have a 1407 I'm itching to put on. The 1406 does great. Great milage and probably a little under powered. Use a vacuum guage to tune it. A mechanical secondary carb will bog it a little. A motor with so much power really needs a vacuum secondary carb.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Damien

The guy with the hole in his hood was running a solid fan, not a flex fan.
You need to have the TV cable hooked up and adjusted correctly or you will burn the tranny fast.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
73chevyman

well looking at my tag on my 73 don't know if chevy changed but if you have a manual trans your timing is to be set @ 8 degrees above @ 900 RPM's. Automatic trans you set @ 12 degrees above @ 1000 RPM's. I been threw this so I set like the sticker said and did my final adjustments with old trusty vacuum gauge. I got my vacuum @ 21 and she purrs like a kitten. I have a 1407 carb and was confussed on how to fine tune it and did alot of research and found that a vacuum gauge was the way to go. Also get that tent cable hooked up like said the trans won't know when to shift and you'll be looking for a new one. good luck hope this helps at all
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
73chevyman

Did some research for ya had me thinking listen to what gchemist said and here is a spec for your motor http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/En...9712&engCat=sb my setting are for a stock 350 hope this helps
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

The throttle valve cable part # SUM-700203 is for an Edelbrock carb. Available at www.summitracing.com. $20.95
TV, throttle and cruise control bracket Part #Edelbrock 8030 @ summit $37.95

I used an after market TV cable. Part # TCI 376800 $33.95 @ Summit.

If you use an RPM intake, you'll need to modify the intake bracket. It is not tall enough. I made it about 1/2" taller to make it work with my RPM air gap intake. Shifting is fine and the TV angle is good.
I like it. The carb end is adjustable.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Razz2o4

What do you mean by the intake bracket? The TV cable bracket needs to be higher for the RPM manifold? I am getting ready to pull my RPM intake off my 305 and set it on there. Still deciding though.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Look at this picture carefully.

Click on it to see the large version.

RPM intakes are taller than other Edelbrock intakes. See how the TV and throttle cables are aligned. If you don't modify the bracket, the angle on your cables will be lower at the bracket area. I wanted a near straight line from the bracket to the carb. It's nearly dead on. The transmission is very responsive. It will kick down easily and responses with any throttle movement.

Last edited by gchemist; 04-28-2009 at 07:57 PM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
Razz2o4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
Look at this picture carefully.

Click on it to see the large version.

RPM intakes are taller than other Edelbrock intakes. See how the TV and throttle cables are aligned. If you don't modify the bracket, the angle on your cables will be lower at the bracket area. I wanted a near straight line from the bracket to the carb. It's nearly dead on. The transmission is very responsive. It will kick down easily and responses with any throttle movement.
Is the RPM and the RPM Air gap the same height? I wasthinking of ordering just the TCI cable bracket, but I guess then i don't have any place to mount the Throttle cable.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

As far as I know they are close to the same size. You can call Edelbrock and ask them. The Edelbrock intake bolt on bracket is the best. It will not flex or bend like other brackets. A bracket that I had bent. It cost me a transmission. Other brackets all bolt the rear of the carb. The edelbrock bracket should fit the RPM intake perfectly.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #11
Razz2o4

Thanks for all the help! I am setting the 600 back on this weekend as well as putting the RPM intake on. I need to get those parts ordered from Summit but I might not be able to do that untill my wife and I move and I can get working again. Thanks Coast Guard!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
OrangeAnimal

Hey Razz2o4, Where are yall getting stationed. My wife is a LT in the Coast Guard stationed in Port Arthur but as you know it's transfer season and it's our turn. We are going to Texas City. It's just north of Galveston.

As far as you issue I had to thoughts. First with the truck in neutral rev it to around 2000rpm and see if it starts missing. If it does then you have too much timing.

I would also check for vacuum leaks.

Good luck with your truck and your move!
OrangeAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Razz2o4

OrangeAnimal, My wife is an Active duty YN2 leaving Sector Detroit going to CGC ELM where she will be under way on the buoy tender. We will be located in Atlantic Beach NC.