The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
lemonhead

Replacing Door Glass in 58 GMC 3/4 Ton

I recently purchased this truck (pic attached).

I spent a frustrating hour this afternoon trying to get the driver's door window out of the door. I had the base of the window disconnected from the regulator assembly. I also had the vent window assembly completely unbolted. The top of both the window and the vent assembly were tilted in a couple inches, and I was able to lift the vent assembly up a good 6 inches, but was unable to get the window up out of the door. It seemed to catch on the sheetmetal of the door. Any advice is welcome.

In the process, I also removed the the weatherstrip channel (accordian-like tin channel with rotted weatherstrip). Any advice on replacing that is also very welcome.

Thanks
Attached Images

lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Replacing Door Glass in 58 GMC 3/4 Ton

I just tore mine down and found I had to take the vent assembly out first to remove the glass. Does not make sense, you would think they would design it so the side glass can be removed relatively easily. I will admit I did not try very hard to get it out without removing the vent assy because I was taking it out anyway. On the corrugated deal, I saved mine because I did not know if the corrugated part is reproduced. I think the vent may need removed because I had one side that had broken glass in the door and only one screw at the top holding the vent window assy in place, someone got lazy during the reinstall.

Last edited by OrrieG; 05-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
lemonhead

Thanks. I'll try again next weekend. I had the vent assembly lifted up about six inches, but I wasn't able to get it out. It was pinched between the window and a piece of sheet metal that went between the inner and outer door skins.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
hotrodsbyray

go to oldcarmanual.com - they have the complete shop manual for the 55-59 types gmc there. I had a devil of a time with the first one - then found that site and go tthe 2nd one out like icing off a cake
hotrodsbyray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
lemonhead

What an excellent resource. Thanks for the oldcarmanual.com tip. I read the instructions through. The pictures looked painfully familiar The one step that was in the manual that I didn't perform was to remove the weatherstrip at the base of the window. Hopefully that was my problem.

Thanks again.

BTW, I bought this truck two weeks ago, and drove it 15 miles home. Ran real rough, had a massive exhaust leak, and the brakes were questionable; but made it home!! My 16 year old daughter is the one most excited about driving it. This should be a fun project. Carb is at the shop being rebuilt, and the radiator is back from the shop and in the truck. New hoses. I need to check the brakes all around and get the exhaust fixed up (new donut), and we should be good to go!