The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
69GMCLonghorn

Anybody running a Gear Vendors?

I have a '69 GMC with an NP435 4-speed. I ordered a Gear Vendors unit thinking I had an SM465. When I realized the problem, I called them and they were unable to provide me with the correct adaptor and I sent the unit back... very disappointing. They had an adaptor for an NP435 in a F**D, but had no record of that tranny ever being in a GM truck. I even E-mailed them some pics of the tranny. No dice.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I was just dealing with a mental MIDGET, or is there really that much of a difference in the tail ends of a GM and a Ford version of the NP435. Anybody have any info on this? I'd still like to do this someday if I could get them to find the right adaptor.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Lemield

Re: Anybody running a Gear Vendors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
I have a '69 GMC with an NP435 4-speed. I ordered a Gear Vendors unit thinking I had an SM465. When I realized the problem, I called them and they were unable to provide me with the correct adaptor and I sent the unit back... very disappointing. They had an adaptor for an NP435 in a F**D, but had no record of that tranny ever being in a GM truck. I even E-mailed them some pics of the tranny. No dice.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I was just dealing with a mental MIDGET, or is there really that much of a difference in the tail ends of a GM and a Ford version of the NP435. Anybody have any info on this? I'd still like to do this someday if I could get them to find the right adaptor.
I have a GV unit in my 70 CST....mated to a TH350 though....All I can say is that I've called GV twice and they were very helpful and knowledgeable each time....

I'd never heard of an NP435....but this link says they were used in GM's.....

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np435.htm

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
69GMCLonghorn

Yeah, that's the ONLY link I've found that even mentions it! I worked on a const site with a guy that had a mid-90's dually with a 454, 5-speed and a GV unit. We had probably 5000 lbs of sand/gravel in the bed pulling a hill at 65-70 at 3000 RPM. He was ALWAYS able to keep the RPM right where they should be. No lugging, no taching out. I WANT THIS, DANG IT! Oh well...
Old 04-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
haysonj

I have one behind a 208 transfer case and have had real good luck with it. The brain was interfering with my FI computer, I called them and they had me a new one the next day. They seemed like they knew what they were doing.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
WorkinLonghorn

I think this is about the third thread I've seen on your situation there. I would have to suggest that you contact somebody at GV that is in the know on this. They have to have SOMEBODY there that knows WHY their unit won't work on a GM 435. I think the desk guy just sees NP435 under "Ford" because 99% of them were Ford or Dodge. Too bad you didn't take the necessary measurements when you had it in hand,but somebody there will know the specs. Call back and persist until you get an answer.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

Trust me I did... I talked with 2 tech and a supervisor. I E-mailed them pics of the back of the tranny and measured everything under the sun. They said the bolt pattern was different. I agree with you that SOMEONE over there should know... I just got tired of fighting it and not driving my truck for 2 months.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Stupid question here, If you mailed them your tail shaft could they may one that would bolt up?

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by So.Cal.Super View Post
Stupid question here, If you mailed them your tail shaft could they may one that would bolt up?
Not that I have an answer to the original poster but it could be more then just will it bolt up to the tail shaft. The output shaft splines or length could be wrong. A lot of times that is the main difference between GM, Ford and Dodge. Input/Output shaft differences.

Good luck on finding out. I would love to put one behind my TH400 but don't have the $$$$ for doing it yet.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
Not that I have an answer to the original poster but it could be more then just will it bolt up to the tail shaft. The output shaft splines or length could be wrong. A lot of times that is the main difference between GM, Ford and Dodge. Input/Output shaft differences.

Good luck on finding out. I would love to put one behind my TH400 but don't have the $$$$ for doing it yet.
I would love one also, I have stopped by their shop a few times and talked to them about options and pricing.... maybe even drooled once

As far as bolting up I was under the impression the G/V Unit itself was universal it was the adapter that is all that is different. I might be wrong. I would still be curious if they could/would make one although it sounds like maybe no.

Man Card Rules

Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
71swb4x4

Why don't you just change over to the SM465? They can be had for pretty cheap.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
69GMCLonghorn

I had thought about swapping tranny's, but just didn't want to get into "What isn't going to fit?" or "What else will I need to buy to turn this into a $6000 project?". I decided turning 3000 RPM at 70 was an easier solution.

And you are correct: The G/V unit is universal; it's the adaptor between the unit and the tranny that is specific to the tranny. That is where they failed to come up with a solution for me.

But hey, I replaced my U-joints, throw-out bearing, got some seals in the tranny replaced and painted a bunch of stuff, so it wasn't a total waste of time.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemield View Post
I have a GV unit in my 70 CST....mated to a TH350 though....All I can say is that I've called GV twice and they were very helpful and knowledgeable each time....

I'd never heard of an NP435....but this link says they were used in GM's.....

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np435.htm

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread but what mpg improvements did you see? Or is this mainly to keep rpm lower while cruising? Thanks

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 05-04-2009 at 11:03 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

There web site says 20-28%, I believe the guy told me 25% because that is what the overdrive reduces it by.

69GMCLonghorn glad to see it wasn't a total waste of your time.

Man Card Rules

Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #14
69GMCLonghorn

So Cal Super is right in terms of the MPG. It will depend on things like your cam, power band, etc.

In talking with some people with G/V units, the improvements were as much in the driveability of the vehicle overall: A vehicle turning 2400 RPM will feel more relaxed at highway speeds. You will also be able to have 3 possible gears on the highway: 3rd high, 4th low, 4th high. So as your speed varies, you can dial in the right gear much more so than with only 3 or 4 gears.

And besides the mileage difference, you are now turning all the accessories much slower and just promoting longevity in the whole drivetrain. DAMN! Now I'm pissed. I want my GEAR VENDORS!!! A-holes!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Lemield

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post

Not meaning to hi-jack the thread but what mpg improvements did you see? Or is this mainly to keep rpm lower while cruising? Thanks
70cst,

I didn't put the GV unit in for mileage....it was just because it's cool and I wanted one. With 3:73 gears and my GV unit I get about 16MPG on the highway....decent.....got about 18 MPG when I had stock 3:08's in it and the GV unit.

I like having the overdrive option in any gear....fun to drive like that. I have an overdrive in my old Jeep and it's fun to drive too.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"

Last edited by Lemield; 05-04-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #16
69GMCLonghorn

I just E-mailed Gear Vendors again to see if I can get a hold of someone that can help. It just seems impossible that they would not have the right adaptor. I'm almost at a point where I'd drive to El Cajon and have them look at it first hand. I don't want to pay the $800 to have it installed, but who knows...
Old 05-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

The install price also includes shortening the drive shaft and wiring the unit up I think. yeah a bit pricey but... maybe you can just bring them the transmission? I am guessing they need to know about the shaft, splines etc. I hope they can get it built for you. keep us updated.

Man Card Rules

Last edited by So.Cal.Super; 05-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

quick stupid question, The NP435 you have. What would the difference be in the adapter since it mounts to the tail of the tranny. I understand the bell housing difference between a ford and gm but the tail? (not talking about length which may be a factor)

Just thinking out loud here.

Man Card Rules

Last edited by So.Cal.Super; 05-04-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post

I don't have one, but my uncle does.

He's a retired OTR driver and still drags a 5th wheel around for trips, etc. He just likes the option of splitting gears & keeping the engine up in the power band; rather than over revving & then bogging.

Even without the trailer, he says there's not a big difference in mileage, but he figures he's saving wear & tear on the engine & tranny.
If I had the money, I'd put one in each truck just for that reason. (I'm running 4.11:1 in both)

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #20
69GMCLonghorn

Actually, the only thing we dealt with was the tail end of the tranny. As you said (So Cal Super), the bell housing doesn't matter. They told me the tail end of it was different than a Ford 435 and the adaptor they had wouldn't fit. I still don't fully believe them.

Also, in case anybody has aspirations to do something else, I looked into installing an NV4500. HELL NO! Fabricate this and that, install a hydraulic clutch master, Mickey Mouse a clutch shaft to the pedal... I'm a back yard grease monkey with 3 screwdrivers and a hammer... I'd sooner have voluntary RECTAL SURGERY than do all that crap!