The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
switchblades66

Want to lower my truck! Need info. Please!

HEY OUT THERE GOT A ? BOUT LOWERING MY TRUCK? I HAVE A 1966 CHEVY STEPSIDE. AND I MEASURED THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE TRUCK FROM THE MIDDLE PART OF THE BOTTOM OF THE FENDERS, TO THE GROUND AND GOT 31 INCHES IN THE FRONT AND ABOUT 29 INCHES IN THE REAR. AND THE TIRES ON THE TRUCK RIGHT NOW ARE COKER CLASSICS G78-15 STYLE. AND I AM LOOKING TO LOWER IT SOME SO IT LOOKS A LITTLE BETTER BUT I WANT TO DO IT THE CHEAPEST WAY POSSIBLE CAUSE MONEY IS REALLY TIGHT RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BUY COILS AND SHOCKS. I GOT SOME INFO. TO TORCH THE COILS IS THAT OK? AND IF IT IS HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING IT, I AM KIND OF LOOKING FOR STEP BY STEP ANSWERS IF POSSIBLE. AND ALSO IF I DO THE FRONT I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH TO LOWER IT ENOUGH SO I AM NOT MESSIN WITH SCREWING UP THE BEARINGS RIDE, BALL JOINTS ECT. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. BASICALLY I WANT THE CHEAPEST WAY AND I WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE I DID SOMETHING. IF I LEFT ANYTHING OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND ANY HELP I CAN GET IT WOULD REALLY BE APPRCIATED...

ALSO JUST WANT TO SAY THIS SITE IS GREAT I GET ALOT OF GOOD INFO. WITHOUT THE B.S.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AND IS ANYONE HEADING UP TO THAT BIG SWAP MEET THIS WEEKEND IN JEFFERSON WISCONSIN???

Last edited by switchblades66; 04-23-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
switchblades66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Want to lower my truck! Need info. Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblades66 View Post
HEY OUT THERE GOT A ? BOUT LOWERING MY TRUCK? I HAVE A 1966 CHEVY STEPSIDE. AND I MEASURED THE FRONT AND REAR OF THE TRUCK FROM THE MIDDLE PART OF THE BOTTOM OF THE FENDERS, TO THE GROUND AND GOT 31 INCHES IN THE FRONT AND ABOUT 29 INCHES IN THE REAR. AND THE TIRES ON THE TRUCK RIGHT NOW ARE COKER CLASSICS G78-15 STYLE. AND I AM LOOKING TO LOWER IT SOME SO IT LOOKS A LITTLE BETTER BUT I WANT TO DO IT THE CHEAPEST WAY POSSIBLE CAUSE MONEY IS REALLY TIGHT RIGHT NOW AND I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BUY COILS AND SHOCKS. I GOT SOME INFO. TO TORCH THE COILS IS THAT OK? AND IF IT IS HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING IT, I AM KIND OF LOOKING FOR STEP BY STEP ANSWERS IF POSSIBLE. AND ALSO IF I DO THE FRONT I WANT TO KNOW HOW MUCH TO LOWER IT ENOUGH SO I AM NOT MESSIN WITH SCREWING UP THE BEARINGS RIDE, BALL JOINTS ECT. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. BASICALLY I WANT THE CHEAPEST WAY AND I WANT IT TO LOOK LIKE I DID SOMETHING. IF I LEFT ANYTHING OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND ANY HELP I CAN GET IT WOULD REALLY BE APPRCIATED...

ALSO JUST WANT TO SAY THIS SITE IS GREAT I GET ALOT OF GOOD INFO. WITHOUT THE B.S.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH AND IS ANYONE HEADING UP TO THAT BIG SWAP MEET THIS WEEKEND IN JEFFERSON WISCONSIN???

First off.... Welcome to the site. For 'cheap' lowering, cut (not torch) 1-coil off your front springs & add 2" lowering blocks to the rear. The front would be free (except for the alignment you'll need) & the rear blocks can be made cheaply (go to the FAQ/truck tech portion of the site for step-by-step directions). The biggest expense will be 2" longer u-bolts for the rear (available from several board vendors).

The cut coil will yield between 2-3" of front drop (depending on the truck & condition of its parts) & exactly 2" in the rear (2" lowering block goes in between the rear housing & the truck arms).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
slepysal

PLEASE GO EASY WITH THE CAPS ON !!
You can also use jeep springs for the rear . Do a search you will find a ton of info !!

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
PLEASE GO EASY WITH THE CAPS ON !!
You can also use jeep springs for the rear . Do a search you will find a ton of info !!

good one Sal

I cut 1 coil plus 3 inches off my front coils, got about 2.5 inches of drop...
used jeep coils in the back and got about 4 inches of drop....kept my stock shocks and panhard bar. it rides great....but the jeep coils are a bit soft for hauling anything but A$$
Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Daniel 61 Apache

Anyone else read that and felt like he was YELLING THE WHOLE TIME?!?

+1 on the cut coil and blocks out back. Simple, easy, and effective.

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference....The Marines don't have that problem.

Sic vis pacem, para bellum. -- "If you want peace, prepare for war."

Last edited by Daniel 61 Apache; 04-24-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Daniel 61 Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
ratridechevy454

What Jeep springs do you use? what year and make? has anyone checked out the rear coils on a 86 -95 Ford Tuarus wagon? they are 4" shorter then stock c10 coils (TRW #cc857).
ratridechevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
DWright
Shlong Bed Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel 61 apache View Post
anyone else read that and felt like he was yelling the whole time?!?
what? I can't hear you!!!
DWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
**grumpy**

I just put 98 Jeep TJ rear springs in my 60, and it dropped the rear at least 4". And they ride super. Might not haul a huge load but they ride great. Cost me 30 bucks at a swapmeet.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
G-REX

Is the 98 jeep tj the only year that will fit?
G-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
joe231

if you guys will search the 60-66 section for jeep coils you will see that many of us use them and you will find the year ranges.
jeep wrangler TJ 1996-2007, i think?

here is a LINKY to our '66 build thread. the first page talks about the jeep coils.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
G-REX

I have a set of rear springs from a2005 jeep wrangler unlimited ,are these the same and will they work,I read posts and couldn't find if the same .Thanks
G-REX is offline   Reply With Quote