The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
KB71C10BBSUPER

1971 Chevrolet Super BB w/ LS6 in it

Found this site the other day, Like what I saw and thought I would see if I could pick a few brains or scatch a few heads. I bought a 71 C10 Cheyanne Super shortbed almost 17 years ago and knew about the truck 10 years before that. It is SWB, Leaf spring rear, A.C., Tilt, Tach, Wide Box, Delux Blue Houndstooth bench, Special paint (silver), Upper & lower moulding, Big Block, T400, w/posi. Here is the Question, Although it said 402 on the build sheet, there was a LS6 454 sitting in the frame rails. Yes I know that this could have been put in at anytime but. Date code on the block is D-2-71, Date code on the Diff D-6-71, Production stamp on motor T0507, Build date fo the truck 5/17. No Vin was ever stamped in the motor. Motor code on motor CRR (70 Chevelle LS6) on a 71 block? This motor has all the correct parts for a 70 LS6 454, 3963569 Intake, 512 block, 7/16 dimple rods, 3964291 heads, One is dated 70 the other 71 and all my books say that was a 1970 head only.
Next thing is the truck appeared to have the orig paint on it and below the marker lights on the front fender the 400 emblem was missing, But when I pulled the fender off to strip it had some differant holes that had been drilled in the fenders and brased back up. Almost looked like an SS or 454 w flags. This truck was made at the Fremont Plant, Sold @ Guardian Chevrolet in Brea, Ca.
I've talked with a gentleman who worked in the Fremont plant in those years and he said it was not uncommon for the line manager to have a diff motor tossed in at that time either for special friends or?
If anyone has some information. I would like to hear about it. Also I am looking for some old License plate frames from Guardian Chev. if there are any out there.
Thanks everyone for reading my ramblings, and thanks for the site. I wish I found this years ago whe I first Restored the My Truck, But it has been my daily driver & hauler for a few years now and it is time to freshin it back up and put the Big Block back in.
Thanks Again, K.B.
KB71C10BBSUPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: 1971 Chevrolet Super BB w/ LS6 in it

a story like this pops up from time to time, and it gets everyone questioning things... however, i highly doubt it is original.
Like you said, it could have been installed by the original owner. he could have also done up some special trim that got shaved later on. you said it looked like original paint, but obviously it wasn't if the holes had been filled in.
If they did it on the assembly line, then federal smog laws would have dictated the sticker say what was under the hood. Since there was no 454 ever certified for a light duty C or K chassis truck untill 74, they would have been in deep crap if they ever got caught doing it.
I have a neighbor with a '98 chevy, he swears up and down it has a "cop car motor" in it, and that a GM big wig demanded this when he had the truck custom built for him.
Except, GM doesn't even make a title nor VIN for stuff like that... since it was never cerrtified for smog compliance... it's bogus, he has a normal truck 350 in it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
a story like this pops up from time to time, and it gets everyone questioning things... however, i highly doubt it is original.
Like you said, it could have been installed by the original owner. he could have also done up some special trim that got shaved later on. you said it looked like original paint, but obviously it wasn't if the holes had been filled in.
If they did it on the assembly line, then federal smog laws would have dictated the sticker say what was under the hood. Since there was no 454 ever certified for a light duty C or K chassis truck untill 74, they would have been in deep crap if they ever got caught doing it.
I have a neighbor with a '98 chevy, he swears up and down it has a "cop car motor" in it, and that a GM big wig demanded this when he had the truck custom built for him.
Except, GM doesn't even make a title nor VIN for stuff like that... since it was never cerrtified for smog compliance... it's bogus, he has a normal truck 350 in it.
At one time a big GM truck (picks up to over the road semi trucks) dealership in Kansas City had a new corvette on the show room floor with a diesel motor in it. I can't remember if it was a 6.2 or 6.5 turbo, but this dealer was leading sales in the country at the time and GM built the diesel vette for the dealer. I know this is a tad of the subject, but this post made me think of that diesel powered vette.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

and since the 6.2/6.5 was never certified for that chassis, that car was never given a title nor a VIN.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

I would have to say if the spid reads 400 engine (402) that would be what it came with. Either way it sounds like a nice truck.
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
fine69

Either way..... We would love to see pics of your truck.

Congrats on finding this site. This is without a doubt the best truck site on the "net".

You will find the best info, meet the coolest people, and probably stay a long time like most of us.

GET US SOME PICS OF YOUR TRUCK.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71C10BBSUPER View Post
LS6 stuff deleted...

I've talked with a gentleman who worked in the Fremont plant in those years and he said it was not uncommon for the line manager to have a diff motor tossed in at that time either for special friends or?
If anyone has some information. I would like to hear about it. Also I am looking for some old License plate frames from Guardian Chev. if there are any out there.
Thanks everyone for reading my ramblings, and thanks for the site. I wish I found this years ago whe I first Restored the My Truck, But it has been my daily driver & hauler for a few years now and it is time to freshin it back up and put the Big Block back in.
Thanks Again, K.B.
I have personally spoken to people that worked in the Ford plant in St. Paul back in the era when these trucks were built. It was nothing to put in an 'interceptor' package on a LTD. We're talking an era where inventory control wasn't done with RF ID tags and massive computer databases. We're talking a supervisor walking down the line and noticing that there weren't enough fenders on the rack to be installed. Basically if it looked like the spec on the build sheet, you got away with it. Nobody knew you ran it through the paint booth 8 times or put in a cop 390 verses the civilian 390.

That being said, I'm guessing the same things happened in Freemont or Janesville, or where ever these things were built.

The only question I would have is were there LS6, 454 engines in the Freemont plant for installation into another vehicle. If yes, then I'd say it is possible that that truck came with a 454 (looks like a 402 on a quick inspection). If no 454s were in that plant for other reasons then I'd say NO, somebody put it in there after delivery of the truck.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
The only question I would have is were there LS6, 454 engines in the Freemont plant for installation into another vehicle. If yes, then I'd say it is possible that that truck came with a 454 (looks like a 402 on a quick inspection). If no 454s were in that plant for other reasons then I'd say NO, somebody put it in there after delivery of the truck.

They were there for use in the Chevelle line (including El Caminos). Not sure what other models where made there but they did have LS5 and LS6 engines there in 1971.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

had to do it.

Welcome to the site. It's a great place.... I should be working but can't stop looking here.
LOW DOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
KB71C10BBSUPER

Thanks for the replies. I have been looking for some pics, But I lost a hard drive a while back with all the photos. Not that I had a lot. Here is a pic I found on an old disc when I was @ Super Chevy 2001. When I restored it I painted it Lemans Blue & White. At this time I had it on the road for 4 years and 44,000 miles as a daily driver. I think this was the 3rd and last time I showed it. The only reason I made it to the show was to haul a freinds 65 SS Nova that he raced. So I cleaned her up and it took First In Class. Yes and it was the only class winner that was towing a car home and not being towed.
At this time it sports a 350, 700R4, 3.42 posi. But now it has been retired as a daily driver an will get the 454 back in it. It will still be used, I build to use not hide. It will still make trips with a car trailer or the enclosed trailer on the back, Just not back and forth to work daily.
In the Pic I found, Some of you may notice the 72 Blazer (in front of my C10) from the 2000 edition of a Magazine. This belongs to my friend Mike. Joe a good friend of ours (Rest his Soul) put it togather, Paint, Body, Motor, But when the article came out, there were only 2 that was mentioned. The guy who did the graphics and the shop that punched the louvers in the hood. Just because Joe did not have a shop I guess they felt he did need the recognition. (Great Job JOE!!!) There, now more know who the work.
Away I would still like to find out more, I know that it could never be proved, But there will always be that Question with the date codes being that close and if anyone runs across some Guardian Chev. frames I would be interested.
Thanks Again Everyone, KB
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
68shortbed

I would sell the engine on Chevelles.com if I were you.
68shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

nice looking truck. That blazer is nice too.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
big_al_71

Welcome from Miami!!!

I tell you gotta love those two tone short fleetside!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 AM   #14
KB71C10BBSUPER

Thanks, I hope to get the motor into the Machine shop soon and pull her out of the garage and down into the shop if I can find room. But the wife is on me either to sell her Camaro or finish it first.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #15
WIDESIDE72

Did Chevy offer an LS6 in '71? I had a 71 El Camino with an LS5... I thought the LS6 was dead after 70, other than as a crate engine...Since it can't be documented, it is no different from being an owner performed swap. Looks like a really nice truck. that LS6 must pass everything but a gas station, though. My LS5 did.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #16
Blazer1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Did Chevy offer an LS6 in '71? I had a 71 El Camino with an LS5... I thought the LS6 was dead after 70, other than as a crate engine...Since it can't be documented, it is no different from being an owner performed swap. Looks like a really nice truck. that LS6 must pass everything but a gas station, though. My LS5 did.
That's what I was thinking also. No LS6 after 1970.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #17
KB71C10BBSUPER

In 1971 they offered a 425hp 454. I beleive it was still refered to as an LS6. (LS7 was the crate motor) The only changes in the motor was the addition of a open chamber cyl. head & piston design, reducing compression ratio.
This is what has me ?? this motor. It has a 1970 CRR designation code, 1971 block, the Cyl. heads are the 291 closed chamber head (the heads that were used on a 1970 450hp 454) and one is dated 71 and my books say that this head was disconntinued in 1970??
But the meer fact that this motor made it out of the plant with the CRR code and no Vin stamped in the block gets me wandering. If the motor was a over the counter, CE was the designation. But for some one to replace the motor that is only 4 days apart on from the diff date code, & about 7 days of the build date, Again did this happen. To close I think just by chance. But???
A friend did talk with a friend of his that work @ the Fremont plant in these years and his reply was "this went on all the time." (true or not?) That is why the there is no vin on the block , so it could not be proved in the event it came into question.
Could it have happen? I don't know. We have all heard stories on things that went on around these years on cars from Ford, Chev. Chry. but are some true.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
sleepertruck72

Whether it did or didnt happen with the LS6 at the factory, that truck is awesome ! I love that paint combo
Old 05-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
LOW DOUGH
I'M TRUCK CRAZY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71C10BBSUPER View Post
In 1971 they offered a 425hp 454. I beleive it was still refered to as an LS6. (LS7 was the crate motor) The only changes in the motor was the addition of a open chamber cyl. head & piston design, reducing compression ratio.
This is what has me ?? this motor. It has a 1970 CRR designation code, 1971 block, the Cyl. heads are the 291 closed chamber head (the heads that were used on a 1970 450hp 454) and one is dated 71 and my books say that this head was disconntinued in 1970??
But the meer fact that this motor made it out of the plant with the CRR code and no Vin stamped in the block gets me wandering. If the motor was a over the counter, CE was the designation. But for some one to replace the motor that is only 4 days apart on from the diff date code, & about 7 days of the build date, Again did this happen. To close I think just by chance. But???
A friend did talk with a friend of his that work @ the Fremont plant in these years and his reply was "this went on all the time." (true or not?) That is why the there is no vin on the block , so it could not be proved in the event it came into question.
Could it have happen? I don't know. We have all heard stories on things that went on around these years on cars from Ford, Chev. Chry. but are some true.

If only we really knew. Interesting.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #20
leddzepp

Bottom line: We will never know.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote