The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
kingnothin_36

Need help with converting instr panel w/out gauges

I have a 1972 chevy pickup and I am trying go from an instrument panel w/out gauges to one with gauges. But there is an issue, I noticed that my connection to the printed circuit is only 11 pins and the panel with the gauges have a 12 pin circuit. Also the two circuits run differently to different parts of the instruments. Is there a conversion I need to get to make it a 12 pin or what? Please help with any suggestions? Thanks!
kingnothin_36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
dan42

Re: Need help with converting instr panel w/out gauges

You will probably have to get an underdash wiring harness -most of the suppliers have them.
http://musclerodzstore.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=287
Look in the parts section - there are used wiring harnesses for sale as well, but unless you're good with troubleshooting, I would buy a new one.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Musclerodz

under dash harness is different, and so is the engine harness up front.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

Kingnothin: You need one donor pin from another harness. I am doing this same thing now and figured that out also. I had a junk underdash harness that I just salvaged an extra pin from the dash plug. I can send you one if youd like, but you may find one closer-LMK
I am assuming that you are using GMC pauls how to on this (Rearrange wires from a idiot light harness to an instrument dash harness)- The link is on the FAQ page on this forum. If you need help, post here and I can assist
HTH< Chuck

Last edited by chuckmc8; 05-09-2009 at 06:19 AM.
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
kingnothin_36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
Kingnothin: You need one donor pin from another harness. I am doing this same thing now and figured that out also. I had a junk underdash harness that I just salvaged an extra pin from the dash plug. I can send you one if youd like, but you may find one closer-LMK
I am assuming that you are using GMC pauls how to on this (Rearrange wires from a idiot light harness to an instrument dash harness)- The link is on the FAQ page on this forum. If you need help, post here and I can assist
HTH< Chuck
I currently don't have a donor that I would be able to pull from. If you could send me one that would be awesome. I will pm you with some info. I just found that link from GMC pauls, it looks pretty easy now if I only have to move a few wire around. Thanks for you help. Cory
kingnothin_36 is offline   Reply With Quote