The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2009, 09:46 AM   #26
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: Why is seat foam so expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Sorry to hi-jack....
Can anyone tell me if the seat foam will eventually settle a bit? I'm peering out the top 1" of the window...
I just had my seat redone. When I got it back I had the same issue, foam did settle down though.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

You pay more for deli meat than you do for a roast you cook and slice yourself.The seat foams are made to fit,not just so many square inches of type-X foam.They are moulded which requires a huge upfront expense for equipment.Then,made only for a particular seat.An upholstery guy can buy a chunk of foam for a fraction of the cost.A talented stitch will match the foam qualities and properly shape a nice well fitted cushion within a minimal time frame and save you money.Do you know of one?I`d use that shop and save money.Watch out,though.Because thier labor cost could ofset the savings in materials.But,anything pre-made is going to cost more initially because it`s "prepared" and also has passed through some hands as well as shipping around.Blank foam is shipped by the truckload.Custom molded foam is sometimes shipped individually and always in lesser quantity.

I do believe you can shoot your foot pricing something too high.The market has reacted and the maker isn`t responding.I sure feel it`s crazy what doing a seat right costs.And,I`ve spent alot of crazy money of vehicle stuff.If you can sell 25% more at a 5% lower profit margin...you`re making more money.And,best of all,you don`t sit on your stock(money),giving you better cash flow.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 03-21-2009 at 10:02 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
msgross

go to a fabric store and look at good foam, it's expensive too. I was going to restuff my dogs pillow bed and it was going to be over $50 alone... that's a 3x3 at 4" or so...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #29
70cst

I look at it this way...supply and demand effects price...you get what you pay for...quality isn't cheap...and try and make these quality foam seats from scratch and see what you get. I am finding out that certain parts for our trucks and my resto on the Circuit Rider is expensive but I want a safe and good riding truck. My truck will be a nice DD and that doesn't come cheap. I decided to spend the $$$ on the Circuit Rider verses purchasing a newer truck. Besides...if we paid what we think a parts should sell for than most of our Vendors would be out of business. JMHO

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #30
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
I look at it this way...supply and demand effects price...you get what you pay for...quality isn't cheap...and try and make these quality foam seats from scratch and see what you get.

I bought my foams from Frank a couple years back and feel they were a good investment...very well made.
Plans are to have covers sewn from leather (I have a bunch of it) and I wouldn't dream of wrapping them around 40 yo foam.

IMHO, it would be like bolting a new body to a rusted out truck frame.

Last edited by ETsC10; 03-21-2009 at 02:09 PM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #31
woodymm3

so utility bucket foam?
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
leddzepp

I like the feel of the original seat foam far better than the feel of the newer foam. As Brad stated, it also sits you up too high in the seat. There is a board member on here that re-builds these buckets by building up the original foam. That takes skills, and I think that is the best route to go. You can buy the new covers, which are also expensive (but more justified IMO) and have a local shop re-build the existing foam if it is not all torn apart for a fraction of the cost. But if you got big bucks and a big butt, get the new foams
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #33
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
....if you got big bucks and a big butt, get the new foams
Ooooof! and I ain't rich...

ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
Jim_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
go to a fabric store and look at good foam, it's expensive too. I was going to restuff my dogs pillow bed and it was going to be over $50 alone... that's a 3x3 at 4" or so...
You took the words out of my mouth -- Foam ain't cheap!
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #35
woodymm3

So i am in the navy, one of my cheif friends' wife owns an apoulstery shop up here near seattle. I asked him the question about why the foam is so expensive. The answer that i got was: Since hurricane catrina foam prices have increased 600 percent due to the fact that the majority of the foam producing companies in america were heavily affected. Due to a fewer number of producers now and the same volume of customer the supply and demand has shifted in favor of the vendors allowing them to raise prices for the same goods that you would have gotten a few years ago on the cheap. So i guess blame Katrina!
woodymm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #36
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymm3 View Post
So i am in the navy, one of my cheif friends' wife owns an apoulstery shop up here near seattle. I asked him the question about why the foam is so expensive. The answer that i got was: Since hurricane catrina foam prices have increased 600 percent due to the fact that the majority of the foam producing companies in america were heavily affected. Due to a fewer number of producers now and the same volume of customer the supply and demand has shifted in favor of the vendors allowing them to raise prices for the same goods that you would have gotten a few years ago on the cheap. So i guess blame Katrina!
Our seat foams have consistently been the same high price for years; Hurricane Katrina had no impact on them. So if what you are saying is true, then the profit margin on our seat foams must be so large that they did not need to increase the price to make up for the increased cost of production

Last edited by leddzepp; 05-13-2009 at 12:48 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote