The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
DADDIO

1950 Door Lock Cylinder

I have been lurking here, but have yet to post. I picked up a '50 five window as a father/son project. Things are going pretty well. But I came across a problem that is probably very simple:
I need to replace the door lock cylinder as I did not get keys with the truck. I can't seem to remove the cyclinder. I see whatlooks like a tab with a pull hole in the door around the lock case. I figured easy enough, just pull it to the front of the truck to release the cylinder and drop in the new one. That thing won't budge! What am I missing? Thanks- Daddio
DADDIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Re: 1950 Door Lock Cylinder

not sure you're talking about what i am, but in the door jam itself, should be a pull tab that you pull toward the rear of the truck. might be a little rusty, but it should come out.

when you're looking in the door jam (on the door) it should look like a 1.5" piece of sheet metal.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
DADDIO

IvelDesigns-
Sorry for the confusion, when you say door jamb are speaking of the outside of the door near the latch?
The tab I am speaking of is in the inside of the door with the window up I can reach it. The tab would have to be pulled towards the front. Maybe it was modified, as many things I found on this truck are. I am going to take a pic tomorrow and post it so everyone can share my frustration. Thanks again
Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
DADDIO

All right, I looked at this again after I finished putting in a '74 monte carlo steering cloumn. I get what you are saying, sun light does so much to see the whole picture. I notice that the tab when pushed to the rear hits the back of the door. So do I have to take the window and channels out to bend the back of the tab or is there an easier way?
Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Thadious

Umm wow, the tab that you speak of, normally, is slipped in part way from the door edge, the lock itself placed in from outside into it's position, then the tab pressed in the remainder of the way until the folded over trailing edge is flush with the door itself.

Sounds like someone didn't know how to get it back in properly and managed to do it all from the inside. You may have to try to curl it around while sliding it to the rear. (if you catch what I'm saying).

Good luck!

Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
DADDIO

Wow...I knew I was missing something!!! Thanks Thadious, I isntalled all new rubber on the truck when I did the windows. The tab was buried under the glue for the door rubber. Took 10 minutes, once I understood where to look. My thanks to both Thadious and IvelDesigns. But like I said at first "it is probably pretty simple" Thanks again