The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
MickMc

Stopped by 'Porter Built'

I was in town this week and stopped by to see Nathan at Porter Built.

Looks like things are cooking and they are TIG-ing all of the tubular A-Arms one at a time. And that welder is GOOD too.

Very nice products and Nathan has a few new products up his sleeve too.

C5 stuff on the front of a Chevy truck, yea, go baby go.

And I saw Carter Hickman's 2wd Chevy Blazer project, I can't wait to see that progress...front and rear Porter Built's, plus some other tricks and a very custom set of wheels and lots of other custom touches....

Mick
MickMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: Stopped by 'Porter Built'

Okay Mick... you know us better than than. You can come in here posting things like that without posting pics.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
MickMc

I am guilty.
Very guilty.

No pictures.

I didn't think you wanted to see a guy hunkered over a tig torch welding away and Nathan in front of a computer trying to figure out his next COOL project.

And Carter's 2wd was tucked away where I couldn't get enough space between me and the wall to click off a photo.

But it was DAMM hot in Arizona...

Mick
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
abadsvt

So let me make sure i understand. You knew you were going to go by Nates shop and the odds of him having some cool projects going is probably high but you never thought about bringing a camera...... Just playing!!!! I did that when i went by Rodgers shop (ironworks) the first time. It sucked. I wanted a camera so bad. Also are you the same MickMC from Lateral-g?

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
MickMc

Yes, MickMc from Lateral-G too.

I had my camera but Carter's Blazer was tucked away and another project was cool but not really picture ready, so I skipped the photos.

Brooks 'the bad ass welder' was tig-ing away at a bunch of 4130 A-arms, upper and lowers (OK, I just like fabrication stuff).

I also stopped buy Fesler's and Chris took me for a ride in the new Camaro.
I have to admit that is going to be a very cool car. The RS we were in hauls the mail. I can't wait to see one with a 600hp V8. For all of the nay-sayers of the Camaro, GO FOR A RIDE.

Mick
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
MickMc

ABadSVT, JOSH, nice build up, keep the pictures snapping.

Mick
Old 05-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMc View Post
I am guilty.
Very guilty.

No pictures.

I didn't think you wanted to see a guy hunkered over a tig torch welding away and Nathan in front of a computer trying to figure out his next COOL project.

And Carter's 2wd was tucked away where I couldn't get enough space between me and the wall to click off a photo.

But it was DAMM hot in Arizona...

Mick

You left with no pictures at feslers, STRIKE ONE! You left with no pictures at Nathan's, STRIKE TWO! Did you leave with a PBDM?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
MickMc

PBDM?

Mick
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
MickMc

And I went to the Pavillions two weekends in a row and didn't take pictures either. (night time pictures are tough without either a very good flash or a tripod and patience) I'm saving all of my camera time for Good-Guys Columbus, July.

Feslers, nothing out of this world in the shop and the Camaro is a text book grey Camaro with a black interior, could have been right out of Road and Track magazine (which claimed the hottest deal was the 6cylinder Camaro and the steal of the century)

Nathan was busy and his new shop is a little more cramped and frame rails or Brooks welding didn't seem very picture-able. Carter's blaz-air is going to showcase all of Porterbuilts ideas and then sum.

Phoenix Customs, cool guy, just a couple of CNC machine centers turning out stuff, and he's working on a 53 Ford one ton with a 12 valve Cummins.

The quality of women walking around Kierland, I needed a camera, and a neck adjustment afterword.

Jim Nasi's shop was cool. Those guys do super cool sheet metal work, but no cameras when they take you next door to the fab shop. But there is going to be one very cool 2009 Road Glide emerging that has a sheet metal fairing, huge motor and a bright orange frame, very cool. The black Road Glide with the killer stereo and the nav system should be in magazines in the near future.

Paul Yaffe's was cool. Just the show room, 'no you can't see any thing else'. I did talk to Jim Nasi while I was there, small world.

So-Cal speed shop, their phones ring and ring and ring, they are busy. Did you know that they sell Chevy truck parts, I must have missed that last time I was there. Sheet metal, lights, gauge faces...

That's all I can think of now....

Mick
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
PBDM?

Mick
Porter Built Drop Member,
Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
MickMc

Yes, the drop member.

But you have got to check out the tig welded tubular control arms, they are VERY cool.
Forget the rest buy Porterbuilt arms...and PBDM too.

I want a set of A-Arms in my configuration...

Mick
Old 05-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Yes, the drop member.

But you have got to check out the tig welded tubular control arms, they are VERY cool.
Forget the rest buy Porterbuilt arms...and PBDM too.

I want a set of A-Arms in my configuration...

Mick
Eventually I'll do my 68 SWB with Porter's stuff. When do I get to see your truck?

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 05-19-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
abadsvt

Quote:
And I went to the Pavillions two weekends in a row and didn't take pictures either. (night time pictures are tough without either a very good flash or a tripod and patience) I'm saving all of my camera time for Good-Guys Columbus, July.

Feslers, nothing out of this world in the shop and the Camaro is a text book grey Camaro with a black interior, could have been right out of Road and Track magazine (which claimed the hottest deal was the 6cylinder Camaro and the steal of the century)

Nathan was busy and his new shop is a little more cramped and frame rails or Brooks welding didn't seem very picture-able. Carter's blaz-air is going to showcase all of Porterbuilts ideas and then sum.

Phoenix Customs, cool guy, just a couple of CNC machine centers turning out stuff, and he's working on a 53 Ford one ton with a 12 valve Cummins.

The quality of women walking around Kierland, I needed a camera, and a neck adjustment afterword.

Jim Nasi's shop was cool. Those guys do super cool sheet metal work, but no cameras when they take you next door to the fab shop. But there is going to be one very cool 2009 Road Glide emerging that has a sheet metal fairing, huge motor and a bright orange frame, very cool. The black Road Glide with the killer stereo and the nav system should be in magazines in the near future.

Paul Yaffe's was cool. Just the show room, 'no you can't see any thing else'. I did talk to Jim Nasi while I was there, small world.

So-Cal speed shop, their phones ring and ring and ring, they are busy. Did you know that they sell Chevy truck parts, I must have missed that last time I was there. Sheet metal, lights, gauge faces...

That's all I can think of now....

Mick
WOW was that all in one trip? Sounds like you get around. So you are planing on building a truck after your chevelle is done or do you got something up your sleeve? Any new updates on your chevelle? I love the direction you guys are going with it. You should talk Rodger into doing a 67-72 c10. It would interesting to see what he would do.

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
MickMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Eventually I'll do my 68 SWB with Porter's stuff. When do I get to see your truck?
Rob
When do I get to see your truck?

I'm trying to finish the rear tank plumbing and I'm almost ready to take the Hydra boost brakes for their test drive, so things are moving ahead just very slowly.

Mick
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #15
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Rob
When do I get to see your truck?

I'm trying to finish the rear tank plumbing and I'm almost ready to take the Hydra boost brakes for their test drive, so things are moving ahead just very slowly.

Mick
The first test drive can be to my house if you want. You can come see my truck anytime, or at least the pieces, . I have to swap everything over to a short bed frame and then I'm going to cut the long bed down to a short bed, wanna help?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
MickMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
WOW was that all in one trip? Sounds like you get around. So you are planing on building a truck after your chevelle is done or do you got something up your sleeve? Any new updates on your chevelle? I love the direction you guys are going with it. You should talk Rodger into doing a 67-72 c10. It would interesting to see what he would do.

Josh
Josh

Yea, me and the Beach Boys, "we get around" you don't want to hear me sing though...

I have a 67 step with a 500 Cad, kind of Pre-Runner style. Not fancy, not pretty, just a driver. Just finishing the 500 install, changed to power steering. Since the brakes were right next to the the steering colunm I added Hydra Boost to go along with the the discs and spindles I had just installed. Since the power steering box was connected to the steering colunm I changed it to tilt. While I had the seat out for the tilt I added 2007 Cobalt buckets. Since the dash was out for the tilt I added a glove box door for gauges, but no gauges yet. While I was installing the buckets I decided to remove the tank behind the seat so I had an old Blazer tank and I had Bent fab me up a 1/2 pick up for it. Since the 500 had AC now I need to call Classic Air and order an AC unit. Since the 500 had HEI and an internally regulated alternator I rewired everything firewall forward with a Mad Enterprises external starter solenoid and a master turn off switch and relays for everything including the HEI. While I was doing the wiring I went ahead and hard lined a tranny cooler and a power steering cooler too.

Josh, I've seen your build up, mine is nothing compared to yours. Nice job on the bed wood and the stainless. More pictures for those of us 'Fab Freeks".

The Chevelle. I'm fully engaged in that project so the truck is just a sideline to keep my mind working.
The build has slowed with the economy but things are moving ahead just slowly. Some of the stuff we have been working on is super expensive, labor wise, for very little that the average person can notice. But the guys who look and know the difference will be blown away.

Rodger is ready to do a 67-72 truck, but somebody needs to walk in the shop and get one started. One of the guys in the shop drives a 67-68 long bed. Rodger and I have talked and he wants to do a line of frames but he is concerned that the guys couldn't or wouldn't afford them. The million dollar question is 'would the truck guys spend 15k on a chassis'. We know they will spend 5-10k and two years of labor, but would they spend the money on a chassis that handles like a corvette and tucks 22's at ride height, or are they more interested in "draggen rail". The draggen group is going to wander away and get interested in the next fad but the hard core truck guys will step up and buy frames, but that might be a couple of years down the road. Look at the age of the guys with the very nice C10s and you can see where the market is going.

Mick
Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
70rs/ss

Speaking of Chevelle's how about the 4-door parts car?? LMK??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote