The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: What motor should I go with?
305 remanufactured with 3 year warranty (no core charge) 7 29.17%
350 remanufactured with 3 year warranty ($500 core charge) 14 58.33%
Used 350. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #26
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Re: Help!!! I need your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
btw read the fine print on that warrenty, it states the warrenty is only valid when you install it to replace the current engine in your vehicle with the same engine. My 350 crate specifically stated it must be installed into a 89 and above 1/2 to be valid, and i must provide proof of engine maintenance.
That is an excellent point. Another item to check is length of warranty if you do the install yourself. In some cases the warranty is only 1 year if you do the install.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #27
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbristo67 View Post
Wow your blue again
I let it lapse because I am completely buried with work and there is no need to try and advertise anymore.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #28
70rs/ss

Can I add on a D) 383? I know it doesn't help ya, but a good solid 350 remanufacture will cost just a few hundred less than the 383?? Vortecs, etc and you'll have a 400hp monster? But as said before if the WEE-O-FIVE is OK with you, reseal it and go??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #29
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsmodels View Post
ps .....get the tranny fixed that is more important than some leaky oil
Maybe I am not being clear on exactly how much oil my truck pukes. Within a week my tail pipes are so coated with oil that they look black.

The back of my truck get coated with thousands of spots of oil and I have actually been asked by a few of my customer's dealerships not to park my truck on thier lot without putting cardboard under it while it's there.

I just cannot imagine that an engine that is loosing THAT much oil can be in superior shape. I was simply stating that I might be looking at a worst case senario. The hard part about a rebuild is taking the darned thing out.

I have to put 1-2 quarts of oil into my truck a week, depending on how much driving I do.

Oh, and the smell of the oil cooking on my pipes stinks and smokes when I sit waiting at a light.

This is no small leak guys... I mean it POURS out of the front main...

D

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Richard8971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #30
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

personally,I'd go with a reman.350 or the 383 that 70rs/ss mentioned.I had a similar issue last year with a worn out 305.I built myself a mild 350 with an rv cam,flat tops and new vortec heads.I'm very happy with it,though if I did it again,I'd find a roller block and build a 383...I'm over flat tappet engines..Oh and the machine shop that did the block/head work for me had zero interest in my 305 block as well.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #31
Highsteel
Chasin' the Dream

Reman 305 and fix your tranny. Your happy with the 305 and don't care what others think about it, and your tranny is fixed.
I'm confused why you asked after reading all the posts and rebukes to all the posts.
You know thats what you want. Go on out there and get man!
Grab it by the horns and satisfy yourself!

Last edited by Highsteel; 05-19-2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: speling, lol
Highsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #32
jbristo67
resident oilfield trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I let it lapse because I am completely buried with work and there is no need to try and advertise anymore.
Well if you slack off on the craftsmanship maybe you would have some spare time. Your just too good and too cheap

1986 Honda 70 Fourtrax

1991 Chevrolet K5 blazer 2wd

1982 Mastercraft Pro Star 190 Stars and Stripes

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

2011 Nissan Armada

jbristo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #33
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard8971 View Post
Maybe I am not being clear on exactly how much oil my truck pukes. Within a week my tail pipes are so coated with oil that they look black.

The back of my truck get coated with thousands of spots of oil and I have actually been asked by a few of my customer's dealerships not to park my truck on thier lot without putting cardboard under it while it's there.

I just cannot imagine that an engine that is loosing THAT much oil can be in superior shape. I was simply stating that I might be looking at a worst case senario. The hard part about a rebuild is taking the darned thing out.

I have to put 1-2 quarts of oil into my truck a week, depending on how much driving I do.

Oh, and the smell of the oil cooking on my pipes stinks and smokes when I sit waiting at a light.

This is no small leak guys... I mean it POURS out of the front main...

D
That front seal is a 2 hour job tops and will cost you 20 bucks, do that and then see where your sitting.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #34
cparman
sharp as a marble

FINE 69 is spot on!! I have been down this road a time or two. IF I were you I would waste a couple hundred, and find THE RIGHT SHOP to help diagnose your troubles. If your truck runs well, then fix it! I might suggest you listen carefully on start up to see if you hear a rattle when the engine is cold. If so there might be lower end issues ( main or rod bearings ) if not put a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the engine, and start it up and look. If the pressure is right, ( both hot and cold ) reseal it, and a set of valve stem seals, and you are out some of your time, but not alot of money.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #35
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highsteel View Post
I'm confused why you asked after reading all the posts and rebukes to all the posts.
Don't be confused. This post was to get ideas and thoughts and you guys have given me plenty to think about. It boils down to 1) do/fix as little as possible and hope (pray) for the best. or 2) Rebuild (and spend more $$$) what I have and be better than happy.

My problem is not a "what should I do", it's more of an "what can my money be best spent on?". I think the best thing for me to do is; pull the motor, fix the seals and valve seals and put it back together and pray. I can concentrate on my transmission and do it right and save up for a new motor in a few more months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
I have been down this road a time or two. IF I were you I would waste a couple hundred, and find THE RIGHT SHOP to help diagnose your troubles.
I am the right shop. I can do my own mechanical work. I am not afraid of the job, no matter how big. I have rebuilt engines before so I am well aware of the size of the job. Believe it or not, rebuilding a motor is not that hard. Just takes a little time and double checking of your specs.

Figuring out where this thing is leaking should be ppprreetttyyyyy easy! (follow the oil spill) Besides there are not THAT many seals through the whole thing. A master gasket kit should do the trick. This isn't a post on what can or what can't I do... I am just looking for ideas.

D

PS Thanks guys! I am reading every post and learning. I will decide soon!

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 05-19-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #36
fine69

Also, if your not sure where the oil is coming from check to see if its coming out of the bolt that goes to the fuel pump rod.

Seen that before.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #37
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Also, if your not sure where the oil is coming from check to see if its coming out of the bolt that goes to the fuel pump rod.

Seen that before.
Actually, it's kind of like someone threw a gernade into my engine compartment.

Lots of leaks. I think replacing the main gaskets will help.

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo