The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
powerbench

At a crossroad in my build ( long story)

I got my 70 last year in August, and had been planning on doing a very modest redo of the truck, ie new suspension, wheels and tire, some new bumpers, seat cover , carpet , new engine and tranny, and just do some rust repairs and prime it and enjoy it as my parts hauler.( here's where everybody I'm sure gets to) I was sick Saturday so i ordered up a new ring and pinion and overhaul kit ...and was goofing around inside then , i felt a bit better and went to look at what i had done to the truck. I can't do anymore to get the truck back on its wheels ,so i started poking around at the rust...then i started grinding and found bondo....ALOT OF BONDO. I guess in some past accident, instead of fixing the damage they half a$$ed the repair and the typical rust developed around it..The truck had been hit in the corner and it bent the lower part of the door pillar pretty badly...i cut the cab corner away and broke the brazing that they had done and the 3/4 of an inch deep of bondo popped off... I know i can fix this by just bracing the cab up and cutting the pillar up further past the damage and just scab a piece of corner back in and continue on with the rest of the repairs...(rockers , floor repairs, door skins, kick panels and some small fire wall repairs) With all that being said , i have a chance to buy a cab with doors that have been sand blasted and prime almost all the sheet metal has been replaced , it just needs some minor welding and finishing to be put into paint and it comes with a title....but they want a thousand bucks....I'm i nuts for even think about this?Will my 70 gmc grill and support fit a 68 gmc( i know the top of the grill area is different and the hoods and eyebrows) (I have new fenders for a 70 right now which should be the same as a 68 i think) I'm just so far into this thing with money right now , i can't see any reason to not just push it further....or should i do the old truck and kind of piece it back together and cut my losses?I just need some advice . This may hold me back from doing my Chevelle for a bit longer but do you think it would be worth it?
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Re: At a crossroad in my build ( long story)

Here is the way I see it but if the work on a new cab is minor I would say go for it save a lot of time and stress and get you back on the road faster. You could also quarantee the cab hasnt been twisted or pushed out of wack from a wreck. One thing you might want to check on is how much it would cost to have a cab shipped from AZ to you. I have no idea how big of a mess this would be going over the boarder but may be another option for you.

The cabs should be the same and everything just bolt up as it was before and really a title isnt needed... well you get where I am going.

Keep your options open think of the costs of blasting your cab then the parts to repair and finally how much your time is worth to you. I always have a labor figure before I do any progect calculate the number of hours it would take to do the project and if there is a cheaper option go for it.

Good Luck
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 AM   #3
powerbench

I was just outside looking at the poor thing...the bolts for the cab mount on the back corner look like it might be bent a bit .. i think i might go look at the cab again
powerbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
big_al_71

I would just fix my own cab and know that everything has been fixed properly and cut my losses...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote