The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
slategrove

Electrical fire...

Was driving to work last Sunday, when The cab started filling up with smoke...first thought was, "how is the exhaust getting in here", after a quick sniff I realized it was electrical and knew I was in trouble!!! Thre the truck in park, shut it off, and by the time I got to the front of the truck I couldn't even see the hood release...finally got the hood open and the smoke started to disapate, but the headlight harness had melted the wiring gutter across the radiator as well as all the wires in the headlight harness, and there was one wire in particular that was glowing yellow hot. I quick disconnected the positive terminal of the battery and everything stopped burning! Coasted the truck backwards down the gravel road and into my front yard (luckily I was about 100 yards from my house and it was a downhill coast to my yard). Then I was off...walking to work.

After investigation on Monday, I realized that the PO had run a wire directly from the positive terminal to the toggle switch that runs the headlights...no fuse. It shorted, on the inner fender where the wire ran from the radiator through the firewall, and the rest is a smoky stinky mess, as stated above. Thankfully, only the headlight wiring was

Replaced the wire from alternator to battery (because it may have been compromised) Thurs. so I could move the truck into my driveway, and today will replace the headlight wiring...so that I can then evaluate if there is indeed something wrong with the headlight switch which caused the PO to do something so assinign.

Just thought I'd let you all know what going on.

Name:  wiring1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  wiring2.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  wiring3.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  56.0 KB
slategrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Southern C10
Is it done yet?

Re: Electrical fire...

Glad you caught it in time and saved the truck. Hope you can get it fixed quick.

John 3:16

MY BUILD THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398108
Southern C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

WOW! Yeah your lucky you were that close to home and able to shut it off and disconnect the battery.

I hope you get it back working again with new wiring. Keep us updated!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
slategrove

Gus is back on the road again!!! The toggle switch the PO installed was for no good reason, so everything is back on the original light switch, and I have high beams now...which Gus was lacking when I bought him!!!

All is well that ends well, this is why I like old vehicles...spend all day tinkering just to go inside in the evening knowing more than you did when you woke up!!!
slategrove is offline   Reply With Quote