The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
heavy71chevy

need help identifing my engine..

I have a 327 that im rebuilding for my truck with the works but how do I detrmine if my motor uses standard 5.7 rods or not? My motor came from a 1964 impala and some external mods but nothing internal,as in it was still stock internals but..The summit tech that I talked to recently told me they should be standard 5.7 rods but I want to make sure that this is correct info before I drop the money for the rods and pistons..Is there any sure fire way to ID a small journal motor vs. a large journal as I dont have a 350 crank to compare to..Im using keith black silvolite pistons and want an H beam rod and this whole thing has got me very confused
heavy71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
clinebarger

Re: need help identifing my engine..

62-67 327 were small journal 68&69 were large. Behind the passenger cylinder head on the block there is a 7 digit number starting with a 3. post that number and i will tell you for sure.. All small lournal 327 cranks were forged. All large journal were cast. if the engine isnt in the truck pull the pan if a 9/16 socket is loose on the rod bolts its a small journal they use a 11/32 rod bolt instead of 3/8. hope this helps.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
andy applegate

go to mortech.com , you can i.d. the block and heads by matching up the casting #s.
I would still measure (mic or caliper) my crank journels before i ordered parts.
andy applegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #4
heavy71chevy

These are the heads info.....
3782461....64-66...327......Camel hump,no accessory holes,160/62cc port volumes,62cc chamber

and this is the block..
3782870....327...62-67...2 bolt

so im assuming that my motor is indeed a small journal which takes a special rod correct?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
andy applegate

yeah, its a still a standard length 5.7 rod but its a small journal. alot of racers prefer small journals for high rpm motors (less rotating resistance) non the less, it will make you a nice motor. Andy
Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
heavy71chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy applegate View Post
yeah, its a still a standard length 5.7 rod but its a small journal. alot of racers prefer small journals for high rpm motors (less rotating resistance) non the less, it will make you a nice motor. Andy
so what im getting from all this is I can just use a normal 5.7 rod with the 327 pistons and be done with it right?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
andy applegate

no, must use rods with the big end for a small journal crank(if that is what you have). 327 and 350 rods are the same length(5.7 inches), but the early 327 crank journals are smaller, thus the reason for rods with a smaller hole on the big end of the rod. my question to you is, why not just recondition the rods you have now? any machine shop can do this for you.if this is a street motor, the stock rods would be fine unless you plan on putting a blower on it. Andy
Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
heavy71chevy

its getting nitrous and a blower...also it will see see track time.
Im pretty sure the intended usage of this motor will blow the stock rods to peices which is why I want an H-beam rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy applegate View Post
no, must use rods with the big end for a small journal crank(if that is what you have). 327 and 350 rods are the same length(5.7 inches), but the early 327 crank journals are smaller, thus the reason for rods with a smaller hole on the big end of the rod. my question to you is, why not just recondition the rods you have now? any machine shop can do this for you.if this is a street motor, the stock rods would be fine unless you plan on putting a blower on it. Andy