The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Philadelphia

New to Forum & Owning a Truck - Q's

First of all --- Hello! , My name is Larissa, i live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Canada... And i just bought a truck I have never owned a truck before, but i fell in love with this one, and for the price it was a steal of a deal. The truck was very cheap, and has not been on the road in 12 or 14 years. It was written off in a rear end accident 12 years ago ( minor damages but at the time, worth more than the value of the truck) and It needed a replacement bumper/rear tail gate and exhaust. The previous owner had taken it off the road because he did not have time and i guess was saving it for his son, but they found out they have to move so he had to sell her. I don't have many pictures, just the ones of me towing her away from her old owners with my camera phone.

She is a 1976 GMC pick up? 350 CID 4BBL carb, 2 wheel drive. and standard/Manual ...(lots of question marks see this is why i signed up to find out more, it has LOW, 1, 2, 3, R)

I think this truck is a hybrid truck, that's what i call her anyway, the side fenders say custom classic, the dash says Scottsdale and the paper and registration say C14? So i'm not sure what or how many trucks my truck is. All i know, is the body work has been done mildly, lots of bondo on the bed, but the floors have new sheet metal riveted in and the door skins etc have been done.
The previous owner was gutted that he had to sell his truck, and his son was a little upset it was going to a girl, but i assured them it would be in good hands. From what i know, the engine was rebuilt and only had about 2000-5000 km on it when it was parked.

One question that i am curious about right now is :

I would like to replace the Carb to get better fuel mileage and hope that it might be able to run in the cold winters here ( can get to - 50 easily in winter ). I would like to know where i can find one that will perform well and be well crafted i dont want to buy something that will break in a year. I also wanted to know what exactly i need to look for the fit my specific engine.

Another would be, what is the bolt pattern for the wheels?

Here is the only picture, sorry for the terrible quality
Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: New to Forum & Owning a Truck - Q's

welcome! you found the best site for info on the net! here is what I know. the c14 "might" be a typo and meant to be a c15. if so, then it is a half ton, and the wheels are 5 on 5. also as for the badging. keep in mind that the P/o probably salvaged from other trucks. I would do check the vin( [url]http://www.americanclassic.com/paint_test.asp[url] ) to know for sure what class the truck is. but it does look like a 1/2 ton. as for the carb. "Overall" the qjet *stock carb* is the best. just a warning though. everyone has an opinion on what carb is "Best". the qjet is temperamental but I find to be the best for power and econo. but as for the extreme cold you have there, I don't know. it looks like you have a great buy there!

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 06-05-2009 at 02:18 AM.
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 AM   #3
enaberif

Low, 1, 2, 3, R is basically your gears.

Low I think if I remember is an extremely low first for if you tow (others may correct me here) and need to start off.

In regards to the carb? Would help if we knew what you had and this is where pictures of the engine would help.

In regards to temps? Well the only saving grace you'll have is making sure you got a block heater on the truck and you plug it in.

Also don't worry about what the cab says haha. My truck is a chevy with a salvaged GMC cab on it.

Last edited by enaberif; 06-05-2009 at 02:14 AM.
enaberif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
78 Big10 454
78 Big10 454

Hi Larissa and welcome from sunny Southern California. There are extremely knowledgable members on this Board who will be able to help you answer any questions you may have. Unfortunately, I'm one of the dumb ones... Good find with your pickup and feel free to participate.
78 Big10 454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
79gmcc15

http://www.americanclassic.com/paint_test.asp

stupid edit thing.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Philadelphia

VIN CCL1461110159
Model Year 1976
Division (unknown code)
Chassis 2 Wheel Drive
Body Style Pickup
Series 1/2-Ton
Engine V8 350 4 bbl.
Assembly Plant Flint, MI
Sequential Number 110159

Very Neat thanks for the helpful link... I guess division is what it would tell me what model it is? Says its a half ton
Philadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
79gmcc15

my link sucked. noticed after I posted. sorry but here is what it is
C= Chevy
C=2wd
L=350 4bbl
1=1/2ton
4=van&truck
at leas that's what I could find out. lol

look in the glove box for the build sheet. hopefuly its still there!

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 06-05-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
enaberif

VIN decoding of CCL1461110159

Model year: 1976
Made by: Chevrolet
Drive: 2WD
Engine: 350 4bbl V8
Series: 1/2 ton (10/15)
Body: Pickup
Plant: Oshawa