The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
t&tkennels

how can i clean my gas tank?

i need to clean out my gas tank on my '71. its still behind the seat. im gonna eventually put one under the bed, but for now i need to use what i got. it has brown sediment in the bottom, & i think its making my truck run like crap. thanks for any help.
t&tkennels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: how can i clean my gas tank?

You can pull it out and rinse it well with water.It may have some rust in it also(Condensation) so a piece of chain rattled around in there may help loosen it.Then rinse it well.You should also run an inline filter to help keep the fuel pump and carb protected.Make sure you turn it where it will drain well then use some rubbing alcohol or gas dryer in the first couple of tanks.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
mr48chev

I've pulled them off and used a pressure washer to flush them out before. You could probably flush it out at a carwash that had a lot of pressure but the owner might have a fit.

I always try to put a fuel filter in the line between the tank and the pump to catch crud before it gets to the pump. The one time I didn't I lost a fuel pump outside of Whitehall Montana and had to coast into town.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I drained mine, took it out, washed it out with soapy solution with a high pressure sprayer, rinsed out and shook it around then rinsed and rinsed.

Then I left it to dry in the hot Texas summer sun for a day. When I looked inside it was all rusted again.

The only way to prevent the rust is to keep it full of gas at all times (which is impossible) or coat it somehow cause it will keep rusting.

I put mine back and installed an inline filter and replaced the carb filter. So far as long as I replace them every 2-3 months it runs okay. I keep new ones in the glove compartment and of course carry a small toolbox at all times.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Scott Johnson

Pull the tank and put about a gallon of muratic acid in it. Slosh it around good so that it will touch all surfaces. Be careful not to get the acid on your skin, because it will burn, but it is easily washed off with soap and water. After letting the acid work for about 5 minutes wash it out very good with a water hose, it should be clean and etched, if not do it again. Let the tank dry completely, I usually put a hair dryer close to one of the openings to speed the process. Once totally dry, coat the tank with POR 15 gas tank sealer or Kreme tank sealer, both of these products work well and will fill in any pin holes you may have. Once the sealer cures you will never have an issue with rust again.

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
Scott Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

drain it, remove it, drop it off at a radiator repair shop, then pick it up the next day, and install it again.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Eturnit3
Bloodied Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
drain it, remove it, drop it off at a radiator repair shop, then pick it up the next day, and install it again.
Thats what I do too
Eturnit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
heidesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Johnson View Post
Pull the tank and put about a gallon of muratic acid in it. Slosh it around good so that it will touch all surfaces. Be careful not to get the acid on your skin, because it will burn, but it is easily washed off with soap and water. After letting the acid work for about 5 minutes wash it out very good with a water hose, it should be clean and etched, if not do it again. Let the tank dry completely, I usually put a hair dryer close to one of the openings to speed the process. Once totally dry, coat the tank with POR 15 gas tank sealer or Kreme tank sealer, both of these products work well and will fill in any pin holes you may have. Once the sealer cures you will never have an issue with rust again.
Muratic is some nasty stuff. I hope you nutralized it with baking soda or something.

Im with the radiator shop fix. A good liner goes a long way. I got my vw ones done for under 100.00

Ill be making a custom one for the truck in aluminum.
Bill
heidesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I have used the POR15 kit many times with exceptional results. It even fixes pinholes.