The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
llegos

5 Speed options

Hey all, I am interested in swapping some variety of a 5 speed transmission into my 2wd. I am sure this topic has been covered more times than many of you care to deal with but bear with me... I have looked and it appears a NV4500 from a mid 90's 3/4 ton is one of the most common and simple, so i figure that would probably be one of the easiest swaps. What all is involved in the swap? Will I have to modify the cross member? Is there anything needed to get the speedometer to hook up well? How does the drive shaft need to be modified? Would I have to convert to a hydraulic clutch, and if not, what clutch modifications are needed to my current setup?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 5 Speed options

Quote:
Originally Posted by llegos View Post
Hey all, I am interested in swapping some variety of a 5 speed transmission into my 2wd. I am sure this topic has been covered more times than many of you care to deal with but bear with me... I have looked and it appears a NV4500 from a mid 90's 3/4 ton is one of the most common and simple, so i figure that would probably be one of the easiest swaps. What all is involved in the swap? Will I have to modify the cross member? Is there anything needed to get the speedometer to hook up well? How does the drive shaft need to be modified? Would I have to convert to a hydraulic clutch, and if not, what clutch modifications are needed to my current setup?

Steve,

I am planning on doing two swaps with 5 speeds within the next year. One of them will be with the NV3500, which some people say won't hold up but I have to find out for myself with my style of driving. The other will be to put a Toyota Supra W-58 five speed behind the six cylinder in my '67 LWB. Unfortunately, I have a couple of other projects to finish up before I can start either one of them...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Custom 68

my buddy swapped a T5 from a Camaro (Mustangs had them too) into his 68 Camaro it seemed to work great for a while but he beat on it quite a bit and it wouldnt last. I remember sombody on here did the swap in their truck and as long as they babyed it it seemd to last for them but I don't think they are very strong.
my friend with the Camaro is now running a TKO 600 and seems bullet proof so far. but these are not cheap...
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
bw4sale

Here's a link to an NV3500 swap.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=212959

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Mayo
Cool Truck

I put a T5 out of an 84 Camaro in my truck and so far no problems.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
69GMCLonghorn

I wanted to do an NV4500 in my truck, but as I started looking into it, it was anything but a drop in. From what I know, you do have to run a hydraulic clutch. Everything from the flywheel to the front section of the driveshaft has to be sh**canned and replaced. I seem to remember some cutting and welding involved, too. Hence the reason I am still driving around at 3000 RPM on the freeway.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
rscam

NV3500 is the way to go. The hardest thing is the slave cyliner mount and the electronic speedo. The rest is super easy. Shifter location is perfect. It Will fit under a low floor. I even used the driveshaft from a short bed Silverado. It was the perfect length. It may be a little weak for a high HP engine, but its more durable than a regular T5. Its rated at 310 ft. lbs. of torque.
rscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
llegos

thanks for the input, guys. I just want something that is a little more freeway friendly, and I dont think the NV3500 is a great option because the plan is to have a pretty potent small block eventually. On that regard, a tremec TKO is probably my best option, but those cost a lot more money that I would like to spend right now.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
UltraBlue71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMCLonghorn View Post
I wanted to do an NV4500 in my truck, but as I started looking into it, it was anything but a drop in. From what I know, you do have to run a hydraulic clutch. Everything from the flywheel to the front section of the driveshaft has to be sh**canned and replaced. I seem to remember some cutting and welding involved, too. Hence the reason I am still driving around at 3000 RPM on the freeway.
X2
What gears are you running? Everyone has told me to replace my 4:11's with 3:73's in my Dana 60.

71 LWB

Last edited by UltraBlue71; 06-05-2009 at 02:50 PM.
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote