The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
tonkadawg

front clip - will it work??

I've got access to a front clip from a 92 s-10 4x4 and was wondering if anyone could tell me if it would fit on my 49? Unfortunately the frame has been chopped so I couldn't do a full s-10 frame swap.
tonkadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
Houston54

Re: front clip - will it work??

It is the same as a G-body frame but this is not an easy swap. There are major interferences to be resolved between the core support and the steering box. I have pictures of this on my PT albums which you can access by the link in my signature.

I have this suspension on my 54 and cannot find any fault in the ride quality or performance. It was not a simple modification though. If you do not have fabrication skills and the necessary tools you might want to keep looking for an S10 frame.

The rear axle from that 4x4 would be useful for your project though.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
tonkadawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
It is the same as a G-body frame but this is not an easy swap. There are major interferences to be resolved between the core support and the steering box. I have pictures of this on my PT albums which you can access by the link in my signature.

I have this suspension on my 54 and cannot find any fault in the ride quality or performance. It was not a simple modification though. If you do not have fabrication skills and the necessary tools you might want to keep looking for an S10 frame.

The rear axle from that 4x4 would be useful for your project though.
thanks for the reply and the pictures - good to be able to get an idea of what I'd be getting myself into.

As for the swap itself, you say it's not easy - do you mean that it's not easy for this particular clip to work or just that the swap in general is not that easy? If it's the clip that makes it more difficult, is there something better I should be looking for?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
57ToyBox

This is a Great idea for a thread !!!!
I've been all over the forum looking for good ideas for FRONT CLIPS too.
I don't want to do a complete frame swap either... Just a clip, so I can put a V8 in it and some sweet over sized frt disc brakes and 4 piston calipers.
Then tub it
Looking forward to the vets input and pics
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
mr48chev

The 4x4 front end is torsion bar.

I had one that I thought about putting under my 48 and after trying to figure out how to make things fit gave up.

I have done two subframe jobs on my own using first generation Camaro stubs one on the 48 and one on my old 51 Mercury coupe and this would be way harder than either of those.

You might be able to use the whole 4x4 pickup chassis and get rid of the front differential and axle half shafts but it would be a challenge.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #6
tonkadawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
The 4x4 front end is torsion bar.
good catch - I'm not looking to mess with torsion bars.

The same guy might have a chevelle front clip that I might be able to talk him out of. Will have to see how that goes.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Houston54

The best subframe for an AD truck is, in my opinion, a rear steer unit from either a 1st gen camaro (hard to find) or an early Nova (68-76 I think). The only issue you might have is header routing on the left side but other than that it is pretty straight forward.

There is some guy selling front stubs engineered specifically for the 47-55.1 AD trucks that uses the G-body/S-10 components. The cost though is comparative to putting an IFS kit in place.

The best option for the AD series truck, again in my opinion, is a IFS kit. You get a safely engineered system that is easy to install and adds value to your project. You can get kits for under $1,500 now and even though that sounds like a lot it is the best option.

Having done a G-body subframe I would not do one again. I am very happy with the results but looking back it would have been better to save up the $$ for a IFS kit just for the added value it gives to a well executed project. If you are just building a beater than do whatever you want as long as it is safe. Just do think it will be worth 10K$ when you are done.

Typically a "clip" is the front sheetmetal assy for a vehicle.

Last edited by Houston54; 06-08-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
tobins 52 gmc
tobins 52 gmc

i used a 74 mustang front clip ,removed the frame ,cut it in half and opened it up 1.5 in .Kept the driver side intacked and used a longer tie rod on pas side .Then i installed new spindles to fit chevy rotors.So far so good
tobins 52 gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
tonkadawg

some really good advice and info here - thanks!

I'm not building a beater, but I'm not building a show truck either. I want the truck to be safe and reliable without breaking the bank. Not only that, I wanted to 'build' as much of this truck as I could - buying a IFS stub in my mind kinda defeats that.

I'm not doing anything right now, so I've got time.