The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
krue
Designated A-hole!

a/c compressor

My first project is a 70 GMC that had factory air. But compressor is missing. How hard is it to find one to fit, and what else do I need to replace while I am at it?
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
Class of 69

The original A-6 compressor should be findable in a junk yard with older GM vehicles. Also some available on this site. You should hear from people soon. Cars were the same as trucks. I personally would'nt get one that has been sitting open to the air for a long time, as the condensation tends to corrode them inside. The best bet is to buy a "core' and then trade it in on a rebuilt one, complete with clutch. You didn't mention if the mounting brackets were still on the engine, but they are obviously needed too. If the system on your truck has been left open to the air, don't be surprized if the POA valve is stuck. Wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it as a precaution. Are you planning on using the original R-12, or convert to R-134A?? If converting, you should flush the whole system, and change the oil over to an R-134A type. I know there are conversions out there that say you don't have to change the oil, and flush, but the system works better if you do it right.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:43 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

I know it's a long shot, but I have a 92 s-10 four banger that has a locked up motor in it, but a/c was COLD when it died. Is there any way to so a swap without being too aggravating?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Anyone.......
Old 03-25-2003, 09:01 PM   #5
Class of 69

Your '92 is a clutch cycling system. It doesn't use an expansion valve, such as the POA valve I mentioned in previous post. You could use it, but you have to change every thing over. You may be able to save the evaperator, and the condensor, but would need everything in between. You would need to wire in the clutch cycling switch, located on the accumulator to power the clutch on the compressor. I believe the 92s still used R-12, so it would be directly compatable with the old system. It is doable, just would take some knowledge of A/C systems to know what to change.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #6
krue
Designated A-hole!

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll do some checking around and see what's gonna be the best way to go.