The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
LpStreetKing

Question Exaust and header help

Hey guys i need some help i just graduated highschool and i got alot of money for graduation so i now finally have enough to get my exaust done the way i want it. So i really hope yall guys can help me out. Of course i want headers and i have heard that the hooker competition series headers are pretty good for the price so so far i was thinking about getting those but i have heard that there are some faults whenever you get headers so i was wondering what yall thought about that and also i am wanting to get a true duel done to it. I hope all you guys can give me yalls input.
LpStreetKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Exaust and header help

Anyone?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
JW76

I have the cheaper Dynomax headers, three inch duals exiting before the rear wheels on each side and Flowmaster Super 44's. The entire setup cost me about 600. It sounds great and is really loud. The diameter of the pipe doesn't give you much backpressure, but the sound is awesome. A friend of mine used Super 40's and his sounds great too. My motor is 10.5:1 compression with a decent lope cam. That makes a difference on the sound. The headers rusted a bit since they were just painted steel. Stainless is better, but I couldn't afford them.
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Mike_D

I run hedman coated headers, 2.5" duals into summit turbo muffler. It's not very loud but flows pretty good
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Mike_D; 06-09-2009 at 11:24 AM. Reason: wrong image
Mike_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
75sierraclassic

I have Headman Hedders on my truck with 2.5" duals, x-pipe, and dynomax turbo mufflers. I think it sounds pretty good. I've had this setup for about 6 years and the mufflers are still holding up (a little louder albeit). My headers just poked through at the collector and I need to buy a new set. I think they are around $150/pair. Whatever you do, i would recommend an x-pipe.

Last edited by 75sierraclassic; 06-09-2009 at 11:59 AM.
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
LpStreetKing

Alright guys well today i just went ahead and purchased the hooker competition series headers ceramic coated and they are coming in tomorrow and then i was going to get my exaust redone true duel and all and i was thinking about getting the one chamber cherrybombs and other suggestions on mufflers?
LpStreetKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
3r!c84
Badass

flowmaters 40's on my truck but it is with manifluds lol sounds very good

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90

Last edited by 3r!c84; 06-09-2009 at 05:24 PM.
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
felixthecatjr

I have Hedman Hedders and Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" pipe that exit before the rear tires. The performance and the tone is just right. If i had to do it all over again I would not change one thing.
felixthecatjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Wild83C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LpStreetKing View Post
Alright guys well today i just went ahead and purchased the hooker competition series headers ceramic coated and they are coming in tomorrow and then i was going to get my exaust redone true duel and all and i was thinking about getting the one chamber cherrybombs and other suggestions on mufflers?
Very nice choice with the header. I personnaly wouldn't do the cherrybombs as I don't think the sound is anything great and I'm not sure it provides a performance advantage.
I would recommend an x-pipe as well and nothing larger then 2.5", you would waste your money on anything larger, even 2.5 duals is a bit big. The muffler choice is up to you, just make sure you will enjoy the sound. I don't recommend Super 40s either. To much interior noise and you will get some drone at cruise speeds.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Joe R

I have Summit Ceramic coated headers on my truck, which I'm pretty sure are just renamed headmans. I purchased the Dynomax dual 2.25" exhaust kit from summit and used Thrush super turbo mufflers. Love the sound, never cared for the sound of welded mufflers myself, but love the low rumble of a good turbo.

The dynomax kit was perfect fit from the headers to the muffler but the tailpipes took some work to get just right. The angle of the pipes were off and needed a small extension piece made to get the humps lined up over the rear axle. Fortunately the guys up at the local shop love the squarebodies and took care of me.
Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote