The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2003, 04:50 AM   #1
1969 GMC

Rusty Kick Panels

I haven't really seen this mentioned on here alot, but my GMC doesn't have any rust in the floorboards...its rusting through in both of the kickpanels. By where the oval openings for the fresh air vents are, to be exact. The passenger side is really bad...quite a bit of rust thru. The rust is only on the inside, there isn't any on the outside. When it rains this side leaks and gets my floorboards nice n wet (but they aren't rusty). The drivers side only has rust thru in a tiny (pencil tip sized dot), it doesn't leak. When I fully open both fresh air vents, there is a ton of leaves, maple helicopters, and these damned dried up berries inside. If I open these at speed, it's like someone threw a bag of confetti inside the cab.

My questions are:
1). How did this happen? Why don't I hear alot about these rusting?
2). How can I fix? Are there patch panels or do I have to cut up a parts truck?
3). How can I prevent future incidences of this, and perhaps save my drivers side?

thanks for your time
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

The drains must plug up and cause the rust to get severe. Even as rusty as the trucks get in Michigan, I have never seen what you are describing. I did cut some kick panels off and sent them to someone who was going to fix his truck because of the same problem you are describing. I suspect that you will have to cut up a truck to get the parts.

After cutting the kick panels off and seeing what an agonizing task it would be to weld the panels back in, my recommendation is to look for another cab.

Even as rusty as this cab is the kick panels were still good!

Pic attached.

Jim
Attached Images

JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:03 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Take the cowl off and clean those vents.Make sure you get the drains open.I usually do this every spring but I'm going to put a vent screen on so I don't have to.I take the cowl off and pull the trash out by hand then go to the car wash and use the high pressure wash to force the vents clear.Make sure you have the vents closed at the carwash.The standing water from the trash in the drains is what caused this problem.
As far as fixing them I haven't ever done it.If they are structurally sound and you don't want to do stock looking kickpanels you might fill the area with metal and then use the kickpanel speaker enclosures to cover the area.You will have to patch the area to keep it from leaking and keep the vent clean to prevent further problems.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Jim, is that your fixer-upper?
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 11:45 AM   #5
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Randy70c-10,

Thanks for the chuckle!

I am afraid that this cab went to the junk yard as there was not much left after cutting off the kick panels.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
1969 GMC

Here is a pic of the carnage, as you can tell the p/o decided to attempt a patch, but it looks kinda sh!tty IMO.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2003, 05:23 PM   #7
pat

Your kickpanels look great compared to mine, I am in the same situation as you are with trash and rust, but I have much more rust and damage.

Where are the drain holes?
What If i just cut out the rust and patched over it(carpet will eventually cover it) and what if i even patched over the vents?
How necessary are the vents?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:55 PM   #8
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

I use my vents all the time. Poor man's A/C.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:52 PM   #9
Steven Sellers

Patch Panels

Doesnt some of the vendors on here sell replacement panels. Mine is rusted at the very bottom about 1/2 inch. Not one of my chief concerns but if its that hard to replace then it might become a concern. Here is a link to what I thought was the replacement panel from GMC PAULS

http://www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com/pictures/Pics/kick(cowl)panellower.jpg
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wifes/wrecked)
1977 DJ5 postal jeep(mmm lots of fun)
1988 Toyota 2wd p/u(DD, blewup 199,000)
1991 Toyota 2ed p/u (sry just cant break these things)
1997 XR70 Honda
1991 Z50(FOR SALE)
1972 Z50 Honda
1970 SWB 350/knucklebuster "The adventure begins and I am confident that there will be no end".
Steven Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:31 PM   #10
72ChevyCheyenne

Ed at Mothertruckers has kick panel patch panels. I had to replace them on my cab. Mine were full of pine needles that had come through the cowl vents. I bought the stainless steel screen that LMC sells to fit under the cowl vent. The picture below shows how much I had to cut and replace.
Attached Images

Restoration in progress
Currently: frame sand blasted and powdercoated, Inline Tube brake and fuel lines, Blazer tank in rear, Holley Red electronic fuel pump, Eaton posi with 3.42 gears, 2 1/2" drop front spindles, 4" drop rear springs with adjustable panhard bar, KYB shocks, ZZ 502/502 GM Performance crate engine, Zoops brackets and pulleys, Vintage Air, dual electric fans, Ram Air II hood and late model sport side bed.
72ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 04:53 AM   #11
sakohntr

alternative

I saw a guy who used aluminum diamond plate to cover up the nasty after he cleaned out the debris. You could make a template out of cardboard and then screw or rivot the plate over the top. Kinda the jeep look
1972 C30 longhorn,BB/AT,A/C,Tilt,Toolbox,lokr
1987 K20 Chevrolet Suburban. 6" lift. 5.7L/TH400 1979 K60 GMC Coleman 4x4, 427/Allison.
sakohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:27 AM   #12
MOTHERTRUCKERS

There is a picture of our kickpanel replacements in the patch panel section of our online catalog.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:26 PM   #13
SWINGSAX68
Now the others dig........

I have the same problem...but the I have like large holes along the bottom of my kick panels were the floor meets up with them....is that fixable????the rest of my cab is pretty straight except that I have aluminum Rockers from P/O which actually seem top have held up well. I will not be looking for a 'rust free cab', a body shop should be able to repair this correct????
LOOKING FOR A 67 4 DOOR IMPALA!!!Just like Sam and Dean Winchester!! 'Cause Mustangs are for p^**#$ and you can fit a body in the trunk of a 67 Impala
MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Texas State University-San Marcos, TX
Certified Music Educator
I hope Mom is up there watching and being my Guardian Angel

"I've got a fever.....and the only prescription.....IS MORE COW BELL"
-The Legendary: Bruce Dickenson

"F#$@ 'em up!!!!!!"
-The Legendary: Rogelio Escobar

TRUCKY LINKS
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=457750
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=461184
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=472848
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=417541
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=477788
SWINGSAX68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
1969 GMC

From what it seems to me, the patch would just be below the vent, but I need the entire vent area replaced. I'd like to keep the vents, they are nice to use once in a while. And getting a new cab would really be too much, the kick panel is really my only problem area, the only other rust I have is the rockers, cab corners, and a tiny spot of rust on the firewall above the air cleaner. The assembly line chalkmarks are still almost 100% readable above the engine, too. I guess I will have to find some kick panels out of a junk truck, or have someone get some for me.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:12 PM   #15
MOTHERTRUCKERS

Get me a measurement and i'll cut a rustfree section out for you 40.00 + shipping.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:30 PM   #16
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The ONLY rust on my truck is in the kick panels. Damn things, the rust is or was only right at the bottom where it meets the floor. I can see the road

Hence the line in my signature.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #17
gmc67swb

WHILE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE VENTS, I TOOK MY WIFE FOR A RIDE WHEN WE FIRST GOT TOGETHER. SHE COMPLAINED THAT SHE WAS HOT. I TOLD HER TO OPEN THE VENT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DASH. WELL WHEN SHE DID, MAN, SHE SCREAMED I SWERVED AND LEAVES AND ALL KINDS OF CRAP CAME FLYING INTO THE TRUCK. I GOT A GOOD LAUGH. NOW SHE WON'T OPEN THE VENT, THAT IS WHEN I CAN GET HER TO RIDE IN THE TRUCK WITH ME.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:40 PM   #18
19mike69

i had alot of leaves and dirt in mine too....but nobody really answered ,where is the drain and how do you flush these things out?
19mike69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 11:45 PM   #19
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

You can't actually see the drain if your truck is all together. It is in the side of the cab behind the front fender. To flush the vents out close the inner cab vents, take a garden hose and shoot water down the front cowl, flush out both sides. If you have water running out from the bottom of the truck at the sides then your drains are clear. If you don't you will have to pull the cowl off and fish out the crap thats in there.

Same goes for the doors and the front fenders, they all have drain holes that may be clogged, you have to get down on your hands and knees to see the holes. There are two in each door, take a dental pick or something to clear the drains out (they are slits about an inch long) In the front fenders I think there are only drains in the front part although I do recall something in the back area. The front area drains are under where the battery sits on the passenger side and the same area on the drivers side.

Overall what I do every year is take a garden hose and find any area on the truck at all that junk could collect and flush it out. Its a good habit to get into and you may be surprised at what comes out.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote