The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2003, 06:04 PM   #26
krue
Designated A-hole!

67' el camino I got from my brother. Car wasn't as bad as some above, but I couldn't believe what my brother did to it. Front wheel came off and win the car bounced the seat hit the ceiling on the passenger side, only one bolt holding it on. Tried to drive it about 50 miles and damn thing caught on fire 3 times. Junked it soon after.
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 06:17 PM   #27
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Not necessarily scary vehicles, but interesting events nonetheless...

My dad had the exhaust on my truck put on about 10-15 years ago or so. The first time around, they bent the over-the-axle segment too close to it; my dad loaded the bed full of manure (and I mean to-the-stops-full) and the exhaust pipe landed squarely on the brake line and stayed there. Burned through the rubber section pretty quickly, I bet. Had to stop it with a combination of the fronts and the E-brake...which had to be something else considering it was a column-shifting 3-speed at the time as well.

Then there was the time that I pulled a piece-of-crap Nankang tire off of my mom's Suburban and forgot to tighten the lugnuts on the spare Michelin...

Then there's my girlfriend's Opel. The car got us from Santa Monica to Phoenix with zero problems. In Phoenix...the fuel pump fell off, the tranny started leaking gear oil like a sieve, and in general the car made us wonder how we got there fine. Both problems, I am glad to say, are now fixed (new fuel pump and new tranny pan gasket, along with mass quantities of RTV).
Old 03-25-2003, 06:42 PM   #28
dtlilly
Account Suspended

My first car. Was in 1985, my papaw died and I got his 71 #ord Torino 4 Door. I got my liscence in 1986 and drove the car for 6 months. I broke down one day and call a wrecker. Well, the wheel lift showed up, hooked up, and the car bent in the middle, Broken glass, folded roof and all. I guess the frame was rusted so bad, it was ready to go anyday (glad I wasn't doing 85 down the backroads).
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:38 AM   #29
stateamind
And you call that a what?

I owned a Yugo once ...

.... enuff said
stateamind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:54 AM   #30
Hooter
My other Love

Well there was my 73 chevelle, paid 100 bucks for "kermit" the springs in the seat were all broken, couldnt see over the dash, butt was on on the floor, no floor in the back seat area, open the trunk and all I saw was the frame and the gas tank. Ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings and all 4 springs were all shot, the car sat 2 inches off the ground, 2 bolt main 350. The car was a deluxe so it had rubber floors and no comfort options to speak of, but the damn thing ran like a top.
My old family truck was a 76 ford f-100. The floor was completely rotted out, the box sides would flap like wings at 50 mph. 302 3 on the tree with no power steering/brakes. Never did an oil change on it for 5 years, the only thing that worked properly was the am radio. The box floor was a piece of 3/4 plywood wired to the frame. had a pink flamingo stuck in one of the box sides and a 9 iron stuck in one of the others. Here's the kicker, one of my dads friends (in the middle of the night) stuck some vinyl letters that said "Sanford and Sons" on the doors. Then one month later someone stole the truck, we were happy, until the cops found it and we had to drive 2 hours to get it.

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 05:43 AM   #31
bigfredtn

Location: West TN (Memphis area) now. East TN (my favorite place to live).
Did not buy the vehicle, 63 gmc apache. To make a long story short, this was one of the family farm work trucks. Had 3 speed with 6 cyl engine. Dad had the engine rebuilt, but the mechanic did a poor job. Truck did not make it home. So what did dad do? He had a old car that he was not using. Removed the engine and transmission and put in the truck.

We drove the truck for several years, truck had one problem. A leaky master cylinder. Dad always had to refill the master cylinder once a week.

As time went by dad parked the truck. We had a 69 chevy that was in much better condition. As I got older I wanted to drive, so I began working on the truck. Dad let me drive the truck, since I had no real job, could not afford to keep gas in the truck. Plus I did not have a drivers license.

Well one day after cutting grass to make some money, I put some gas in the truck and went out riding. Well on this day I forgot to put brake fluid in the master cylinder. I knew the brakes were bad, so I would take my time in stopping. Well that day I was going faster than I should have, came to stop sign, could not stop the truck. Thank God for low drive. Needless to say, that was the last time that I drove the truck, broke motor mount on truck, and truck has been parked every since that day. Going on 15 or 16 years now.

Well if you read this entire story let me share the good part. The old car that the enigne came out of was an 69 chevy impala SS. 350/300 hp with turbo 400, 4:11 gears in truck. Truck was a legend only I was too young to know it at the time.
As I got older my dad told me the reason why he did not fix truck he did not want me to kill my self.

One more thing both the 69 chevy, and the 63 gmc are parked in the same location. One day I am going to get that engine and transmission out of the truck.
62 Chevy Impala
98 GMC Yukon
1970 Ford Mustang Fastback I know its a Ford.
bigfredtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:02 AM   #32
Hooter
My other Love

an give the motor to me?
cmon you know you wanna

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:36 AM   #33
ozarkhippie

What about the impala? I want to know about the impala.
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:47 AM   #34
low 84

73 elcamino supersport. one of the more awkward looking cars i think g.m. made. more of the bed floor had fallen out than was remaining. anything that could be worth any spec of value like ss badges, radio, dash and such was stripped and sold by my uncle. every panel had holes in it. it ran but had the very rare go-go-gadget black smoke exhaust option for eluding the athourities in pursuit. it was passed around the family and according to the family automotive "experts" it had those rare chevy hemi heads on the 350 (i just ketp my mouth shut when i heard that one) along with a legendary 400 dollar carbuerator (again kept my mouth shut) and was said to run 'like a scalded dog'. when it was my turn for it i figured it was way to high performance for me so i passed on it

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote