The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2003, 12:29 AM   #1
KEH
Better late than never

Correct Alternator bracket

I have to move my Alternator from the passenger side to the drivers side to accomodate my new a/c compressor. I found the below bracket in with some spare parts, but I can't tell if it's the correct left side bracket. Maybe I'm missing a piece?

Can somebody please help?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 03:03 AM   #2
KEH
Better late than never

Sorry, I guess it would help to attach the pic.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2003, 05:59 AM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

I don't have the GM part number, it's probably long discontinued anyway, but if you have an LMC catalog, they sell a chrome '67-'68 alternator bracket -- p/n 38-1871. I think I got mine at a local hot rod shop. The '67-'68 configuration has no rear bracket, just the bottom of the Altr being secured to the block along the side w/ a_5" bolt or so [and there's block bracket with 2 holes about 4" apart for the long bolt to pivot on], and the fanbelt tension adjusting bolt going thru the far end of the chrome piece. It also is better that the long 2 point bracket you illustrated, since it has 3 points -- 2 bolts going into the block and 1 at the fanbelt tensioner position. Also it is ridged and shaped so it won't flex like the A/C bracket in the pic. I had a 2-point and replaced it w/ the 3-point so my Altr would quit wobbling.
Hope this helps.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:09 AM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

Sounds like you have 73 up brackets. [69 and up in cars]. So besides the correct alternator bracket you'll also need to change to a short waterpump and change the pullys and change the power steering brackets if you have power steering. If your not interested in originality it may be easier [and cheaper] to just find a drivers side mount for the ac compressor. Then you would just need longer hoses for the ac. The 73 up brackets are actually better [the compressor and alternator mount closer to the engine and use shorter belts that don't flop, plus a mortal human can adjust the power steering belt.] and are much easier to find in boneyards. If your search for brackets comes up short you can get just about anything you want here

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Catalog.htm

They are excellant quality but be warned you pay for it. GOOD LUCK