The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
madaca

heat riser gasket?

I have air coming out from around where the passenger side exhaust manifold connects to the heat riser. Especially when I give it some gas to accelerate. Is there a gasket there that I can replace. I was looking in the LMC catalog and only see manifold gaskets and the heat riser. Is there a smaller gasket that goes there or is it normal for air to come out of that area?

Last edited by madaca; 06-14-2009 at 10:41 PM.
madaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: heat riser gasket?

There's a donut gasket that is made to go inside there. Take the heat riser in with you to your parts store. The donut will go towards the engine while the flanged end will go into the heat riser.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
madaca

Thanks a million. That will be the next weekend project.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
TwiggyTheDrummer

No problem man. Just take your heat riser so that you can make sure that it's the right one. Once you pull the heat riser you'll notice a small ring around the inside of it which is the stopping point for the donut's flange so that it sits flush with the edge of the heat riser even before you apply torque. I bought mine at AAP and it took about 5 minutes to get it right.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
madaca

I replaced the flange gasket today. It was the one at the bottom of the heat riser where it meets the exhaust pipe. The one that was in there was pretty bad and it was made out of some type of material that broke in pieces as I pulled it out. I replaced it with a metal flange gasket I purchased at ABC auto. Even though it is much better, I seem to still have a little air coming out the top part of the heat riser where it meets the exhaust manifold. I am wondering if I just need to tighten up the nuts some more to pull the heat riser in tighter to where it meets the exhaust manifold. Any suggestions?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
TwiggyTheDrummer

You might just have to tighten it up in that manner. How is the gasket on that side?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
madaca

LOL. I didn't know there was one on that side too. Im kinda new to this. I even asked the guy at ABC if there was any other gaskets for it and he said that was it. He said I could take the heat riser off and leave it off because the flap sometimes tend to get stuck. Do you know anything about that? What exactly does it do?

Last edited by madaca; 06-15-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
TwiggyTheDrummer

All that the heat riser does is build up heat in the engine when it's cold outside. It speeds the process up so that the engine works more efficiently and so that you can get on the road faster. Helps with the idle basically. And it should be a regular cork/steel 3 hole gasket. Can you get a picture of the heat riser on the exhaust setup underneath?

Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
madaca

This is what I got today. Mine is made of sintered metal though. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...3028+9870+5792

Is this the one your talking about. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...3028+9870+5977

The one I got is sandwiched between the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the heat riser. I guess I need the top one as well? The one with the three holes.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
TwiggyTheDrummer

Yeah you're pretty well off doing both. I'm trying to find a picture of the gasket that I had to get for my heat riser.