The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
4x4man09

Update on 73

Ok, awhile back I posted about my 73 not shutting off when you turn the key off. We tried everything that was said with no luck. Truck runs fine even when you shut the key off. The only way to shut the truck off is to pull the main coil wire, then it will shut off. We put the coil wire back on and gave up for the day. When we came out the next day the battery was dead. So now we have to pull off the battery cables so it doesn't drain the battery. From what we have seen no wires are pinched or cut. If worse comes to worse, would it be possible to put a toggle switch in that will shut it off if the key is off and to make sure it wont drain the battery?
4x4man09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
thinair
thinair

Re: Update on 73

sounds like maybe the main ignition switch(bolted on the lower shaft of the column)isn't going all the way to the "off" position with the key.....might check that
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
f.monroe

Have you tried turning it past the off position ? Towards accessory position . If it is an adj issue , it seems like it would eventually find off position . Otherwise I would start tracing power from the distributor backwards until I find the source or maybe find another cause .
Frank
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
menace121978

its a problem in your column. i had the same problem after someone tryed to steal my monte ss. couldnt shut off the ignition/power and kept running the battery dead. theres a bar/rod inside the column that breaks and the ignition will only click to the run/crank position. just my .02.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
silvereagle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
its a problem in your column. i had the same problem after someone tryed to steal my monte ss. couldnt shut off the ignition/power and kept running the battery dead. theres a bar/rod inside the column that breaks and the ignition will only click to the run/crank position. just my .02.
I've had that happen to me too.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
4x4man09

Quote:
Are you talking about the rod on the outside? It sounds like you are thinking that the truck wont start and the key will only turn so far. The truck starts just fine, just doesn't shut off. On the outside of the column that when you turn the key on or off it moves up and down. I'm thinking that maybe that rod isn't making contact with something any more and now it wont shut off. We will check it out tomorrow and I'll let you know!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
menace121978

sorry not clear enough. the bar is on the inside of the column. when you turn the ign. switch to the off position the bar isnt pulling back on switch itself. there is also a spring that allows the switch to always be in the on position to crank position so even though the rod is broke you can still crank it but never fully turn it off. it hard for me to explain. tear into it and let us know.. good luck buddy, Dennis

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E

Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
4x4man09

Quote:
sorry not clear enough. the bar is on the inside of the column. when you turn the ign. switch to the off position the bar isnt pulling back on switch itself. there is also a spring that allows the switch to always be in the on position to crank position so even though the rod is broke you can still crank it but never fully turn it off. it hard for me to explain. tear into it and let us know.. good luck buddy, Dennis
Ok, the one on the truck has it on the outside and it goes down to a little box. We have another (not sure if it will work or if it's even the same style) and we are going to take it off and see what happens. I'll give you an update tomorrow!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
dammitmitchell
the pollock

in relation to the inline toggle switch NO..
you cann put something with a large powerdraw like the coil on a "cheapy toggle switch" but what you could do is put a battery cut off on it.. a "big switch" hehehe
but.. i would just fix it instead of waste money.. something's wrong.. and if there's a short on a constant HOT wire.. there's a HUGE chance for a FIRE!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
4x4man09

Well we messed with the little box on the side of the steering column. We had a spare one from another truck cab that we had picked up. We switched them out and at first it worked. But just like the other, once you shut the key off. It doesn't shut the truck off. It would work every once in awhile and a few times when we shut it off, it would shut off randomly. Should the alternator have power at all time when the key is in the on position but the truck isn't running or should it only have power when the truck is running?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
4x4man09

We had a friend come over today to look at it. Seems that the coil is staying hot and causing the problem. We are going to put in an HIE system tomorrow and hope that works. I'll let you guys know!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
menace121978

i hope that works for ya man... sorry, sounds like i was wrong bout the column. would have bet money on that one. LOL good luck and let us know, Dennis