The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
tim21391

steps to swap from points to hei??

can someone give me the steps please since this is my first time ever doing this
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Sammy

Re: steps to swap from points to hei??

USE the search feature above..Search FAQ..then scroll down to what you need.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Like Sammy said....hit the FAQ thread in my signature Tim.....I think there's a thread in there for this!!!....good luck

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
GbodyFreak

Just because I'm bored and like to tell people what to do:

step one: buy an HEI distributor, coil, cap, all the big mechanical stuff. It ran us about 200 for the stuff to do it on a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass SX.

Step two: Remove the old points equipment, make sure you have your engine at Top Dead Center when doing this, it'll make it easier to set up later on. If you don't know what this is, you need your pressure maxed out on your no. 1 cylinder.

step three: Install your new HEI distributor. When doing this, point your rotor at your no. 1 cylinder. You'll be beating your head against the wall if you do not do this, it's very important.

step four: Run your wiring. Your old distributor got some power from the starter most likely. It's not enough to run your HEI. Find a 12V source(preferably on your fuse block) that stays on when the car is on and off when the car is off. Hook your wire from that to your spade on the distributor. Your other spade is for the tach and will be labeled that way. This is how you will normally wire up your tach if you have one.

Step five: Check everything over thoroughly and tighten it all down as necessary. You should update your plugs and wires if you haven't done so already.

I might have forgotten something, so if you run into trouble, just post again and I should probably be able to help.
GbodyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

You tube can be a great source to "watch" someone do this too! The tough areas can be to make sure you are not what they call 180 out. Your crank turns twice to one cam rotation. With these trucks, you can usually get on one of the TDC's and actually pull a plug, shine a flashlight into the hole and see the top of the piston.

The biggest booger is to atually get the dist to drop flush with the manifold. To do this, the rotor must be lined up with the oil pump rod. You will almost always have to shine a light into the dist hole and put a big screwdriver into the oil rod slot. Turn the slot so it points to #1 cylinder. With most Chevy distributors, the slot in the bottom of the dist is the same as the end of the rotor. Because the gears are angled, you will need to put the rotor end around 1/8th to 1/4 BEHIND the mark you are trying to hit. A good trick is to point it toward the master cylinder and drop. I'll just warn you that even guys like me that have done this numerous times will have to work at it to drop correctly. I'm sure you will have to jump back on the board if this is your first time and let us know where you are at or stuck at.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbodyFreak View Post

Step two: Remove the old points equipment, make sure you have your engine at Top Dead Center when doing this, it'll make it easier to set up later on. If you don't know what this is, you need your pressure maxed out on your no. 1 cylinder.
I did this one without finding TDC, even. With the points/dist in place, turn the motor over until the bug points at a good reference that you can find again. I bumped the motor until it pointed directly back at the center of the firewall. Install the HEI so that its bug points to the same place and you're golden. (You're wanting the HEI to start firing at the same spot that the old distributor was.)

Remember that things will rotate slightly as the gear engages down below. It may require a couple of stabs.

I ran 12 ga wire from an IGN hot on the fuse block and fired it right up. It's a 30 minute job once you get over the "What the H am I doing here...."

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

Oh yeah......DO NOT FORCE THE DISTRIBUTOR DOWN. If it's not aligned, it will not drop flush. Everything must be correctly aligned for it to drop smoothly.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

If you have trouble getting the distributor to drop all the way in (not lining up with the oil pump shaft) and you got a buddy there to help you it is no problem. You can install it as stated above getting the rotor in the right position (lined up on the number one cylinder), then hold the distibutor will your buddy bumps over the starter, the distributor shaft will be turned by the cam shaft and once it lines up with the oil pump shaft, it will drop all the way in. Just take care to keep your fingers and clothing away from moving parts (belts, pulleys, etc,). I powered the hei by running 12v source (fender mounted stud near battery) through a relay, then to the hei. I switched the relay by using the original hot wire to the coil. That way I knew it was 12v at the hei in the run and start position. When the ignition is turned off, it de-activates the relay and the power to the hei and the engine stops.
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
tim21391

oh ok ill try this tomorrow and yes i got everything and plugs and wires for $230
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=13698
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote