The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
Molyorange

305 v6

Hey guys I'm new to the site, and Boy there is a wealth of information on here. I have a 2nd owner 64 SWB GMC custom-UNTOUCHED, and I want to keep the V6 as long as I can but I want to install a 700-R4 tranny or my richmond 6 speed out of my Camaro. Is the Bell housing the same? Just to give a history of the truck. It has it's 2nd paint job (Palamino and White)palamino almost looks pink! It has 79K on the clock and the Lady that sold it to me didn't think it had THAT much. I have all of the GMC service records and it's correct and has had only 3 sets of tires and the third set was installed by her Grandson on some 15x8 white waggon wheels UGLY. It has rear leaf springs and I thought they all had the truckarm and coil spring suspension. It has power steering and I would like to install A/C in the near future. The bed has new wood installed and was done in 1989. The truck has sat in the garage all of that time except when the grandson drove it after graduation which was in 1990-91 one summer. ABSOLUTLY ZERO RUST. I want to do a drop with spindles and rear axle flip C-notch. With 18 front 20 rear wheels.
Molyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: 305 v6

Check out this site:

www.6066gmcguy.org

Lots and lots of info, specifically just for GMC's. Also, you will need an adapter to mate the Richmond to the V-6, I know this company makes them: www.thunderv12.com. I'm sure there are other companies too, but very few.

Good luck and WELCOME ABOARD!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Welcome man! The 305 is a very cool engine and very odd compared to typical engines. Just like Cort, I too have a 305 along with 4dranch and a few others. As far as the tranny goes, you will have to find an adapter plate because the bolt patterns are just so different. I would recommend getting one and then you can attach any tranny you would like. Now get some pics!

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 06-22-2009 at 12:21 PM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Welcome from West Tn...

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
TwiggyTheDrummer

Notice all of us with a 305 just flock to this thread.

305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
Old 06-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
Notice all of us with a 305 just flock to this thread.

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Molyorange

I noticed how all of you guys responded quickly. Thanks for the info, close to a grand for the adapter SHEEEZ!!! The rear end has a 3.70-4.11 so it's not Highway friendly. I guess I will drive it for a while and decide. Pics soon to come!! again thanks! Robert
Molyorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
TwiggyTheDrummer

Yeah I got very lucky on the trans deal. I met a guy on the 6066gmcguy site who had a '63 Powerglide out of a 63 GMC 3/4 ton. Not only did he give me a real good deal on it but he also included the adapter plate plus the cooling lines, dipstick/tube, torque converter, etc. He wanted like $100 plus shipping from Las Vegas.

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 06-22-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
TwiggyTheDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molyorange View Post
I noticed how all of you guys responded quickly. Thanks for the info, close to a grand for the adapter SHEEEZ!!! The rear end has a 3.70-4.11 so it's not Highway friendly. I guess I will drive it for a while and decide. Pics soon to come!! again thanks! Robert
But you can definitely pull a stump out of the ground. If you've never seen the plaid valve covers on these things, go check 'em out in my build thread.