The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
JPCY72

Dilema

Hey Guys,

as some of you know I have a 72 k20 with a 350/350,
the engine runs good but I think the valve guides are going bad. It burns oil pretty bad, my wife wont let me do anything further unless I fix it and cheap... Its got the 339x heads with the 1.72 intake valves and 1.5 exhaust vavles. I just got quoted 230 to knurl the guides and install new seals with a 45degree grind on the valves, I told the guy I didnt want hardend seats cause the motor isnt perm as I am going to build a 383 or a 400 down the road maybee a year. So with that said is that a good deal? I just need this thing to be reliable, I just put a new gmpp zz4 intake and a hei conversion on it so I am stuck cause I could get some heads the old vette powerpack heads for 120 but they need rebuild but will bump my compression blablalba the guys telling me that it might tear up my bottom end etcccc so I am heeding his advice and donig it conservatively. My big thing is I dont want to wast money.... Thanks -Steve
JPCY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Dilema

Personally, I would see the route of doing the repair a waste of money and effort.
Since you have plans to upgrade the motor, I would go buy the heads you want to run on the new one and put them on the current engine. Then when you get the dough to do the new mill, you just have to worry about doing a short block.

Thats just me though...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
danw210
69 K20

I totally agree with Vectorlit, I wouldn't bother with the head repair, I would start upgrading for the new motor that you have in mind. I too think that it would be a waste of money. Invest in the new motor but getting the heads that you want for it and put them on the current motor. My wife is he same way. She doesn't see the big picure, fix it cheap and quick, and did I mention cheap.

Last edited by danw210; 06-26-2009 at 12:09 PM.
danw210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Ackattack

if it were me, I think I'd look into a new set of vortec heads. You'd have to get a new intake too, which kinda stinks, but I think it would be worth it.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
JPCY72

I totally hear you guys but Im towing you dont thing that vortec heads and a new intake are going to hurt the bottom end? also where can I find a set cheap??? Im on a budget I noticed that there are some replica castings on ebay not sure what to make of that though. I may scrounge in the pick a part though...
Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
jay6891
Car Knocker

I would get the heads that I want to run on my new engine. Whether they be vortec or not. Not the point. Putting new head on an old engine will just put more pressure on the rings and they may start the oil burning problem all over and maybe even worse. So it doesn't really matter what you do, rebuild or new. The rings are going to take the heat. So to speak. So spend your money where it will do the most good in the long run. Brand new heads that you want, or rebuild a set that you will probably scrap when you get your dream engine. Just my opinion
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCY72 View Post
I totally hear you guys but Im towing you dont thing that vortec heads and a new intake are going to hurt the bottom end? also where can I find a set cheap??? Im on a budget I noticed that there are some replica castings on ebay not sure what to make of that though. I may scrounge in the pick a part though...
I don't know why the vortec heads would neccessarily hurt the bottom end. I recommended them cause they'll make better power, are brand new, and are pretty cheap. But like others said, if you're going to rebuild the whole engine eventually, just get the heads you really want.

If you do want vortec heads I would look at Pace and Scoggin Dickey.

http://www.sdpc2000.com/product/SD80...merIntake.aspx

Last edited by Ackattack; 06-26-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'd start with a compresion test and a leak down test.
Worn valve guides usually only smoke upon start up.... not all the time.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
JPCY72

Wow thats a good deal, I think longhorn is on the track im on. I am going to test it and see what I get. I did call the pickapart and its about 400 buks used cause he has to order them. He also said that it wouldnt be a good idea to put fresh heads on a old motor cause of blowby. Well see what kind of numbers I get from the compression test. thanks I will keep yall up to date.