The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
bddcustoms

Smile So... how DO you remove a windshield?

I need to remove the windshield and rear glass from a '69 cab. Never done before. I can only find comments on the windshield trim in/deinstall (I have rubber btw). Can't be that hard, can it.

Please chime in.

Thanks.

DTT.

1969 C20 - Project: "Big Sexy" [http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454894]
2003 'Burban - [Big Pop's daily driver]
1969 350/350 Stingray - [as soon as the economy turns...]
1939 Chevy Roadster Pick Up - Project: "Pre-School" (searching now)
bddcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 AM   #2
woodman13
woodman13

Re: So... how DO you remove a windshield?

I used 2 screw drivers and some wire.
woodman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
AJLChase

I found this link because I'm actually looking at doing it today, although I don't think I'm gonna destroy parts that I'd literally have to go out and buy to do this ( I know, who doesn't have old garden hose and tons of extension cords laying around? Me! :P)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=210843

Also there's this from a post from GMCPauls on how to install a new windshield which before explaining the install they briefly mention the removal.

Here's GMCPaul's windshield install instructions. Thanks!
I'll give you one hint where the gasket came from Glad you had a smooth and uneventful install!!!!
Heres the directions for anyone interested in doing it yourself.
Remove original windshield by cutting rubber on inside all the way around and push out and dispose ( far nicer than trying to pry it out with hole seal intact and it breaking and making a mess to clean )
After originals removed thoroughly clean flange inside and out where rubber seal rests and file off sharp edges to avoid tearing new rubber on install. Have new seal in a very warm area so is extremely pliable, lay new windshield face down on carpet or similar material and apply weatherstrip to glass, place a chalk line string ( available at Ace Hardware, Menards , Lowes, etc... ) in channel of weatherstrip where cab flange sits when installed leaving a small loop sticking out at the top center of rubber and other 2 ends of string sticking out bottom center, tape the top string loop and the ends of string at bottom in place to hold, then apply thin coating of vaseline to inside edge of weatherstrip that will be exposed on inside of cab when installed, coat cab flange opening with windshield chaulk and get assistance to lift windshield and place windshield in place from outside postioning upper angled corners in opening first then have someone inside cab begin pulling chalk string loop on one side of loop towards top corner while assistant outside cab applies light pressure to glass following progress of person in cab pulling the string, then work the opposite side top, then work string down either side, then pull center 2 ends towards outside bottom corners one side at a time. I find it works best when doing center bottom towards outer corner to grab end of string I worked from top down with one hand to prevent it from moving then I pull the end sticking out at bottom towards the corner, after seal is fully installed apply weatherstrip cement under outside edge of seal, then wipe down exposed area of seal inside and out to remove any vaseline or caulk on seal with acetone on a rag.
Slow and easy and a warm enviroment are the best when doing install.
GMCPaul

Link for the entire thread is here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=90510

Hope this helps!
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
bigsnookmaster

Cut it out with a razor knife. I would never use vaseline or rubber cement! Besides if you use vaseline, how would the rubber cement stick? You will have a mess on your hands! I installed auto glass for several years. Put the rubber around the glass,run a thin sash cord around the pinchweld groove,a string will possibly cut into the rubber. I start at the bottom in the middle with the cord,wrap it all the way around till they meet,put 1 twist in the cord and tuck it in the groove with the exposed ends to the inside. Lube the gasket with silicone spray or soapy dishwater mixture. Put it in the hole gently, pull gently on the cord to get it started,go both ways till you get to the top corners , slowly work the corners till you get to the top edge and pull the rest of the cord out .You can gently slap the windshild with an open hand, not a fist! It might work starting at the top, but gravity says to put the bottom in first. If you have a new gasket and your pinchweld is clean and rust free, you should'nt need any sealer,if you do, use an autoglass sealer made for this application. My .02
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

If you use a razor knife to cut the rubber lip away, you can get it out with one tool.....

If you use a hammer to get it out, you will need a shop-vac....making it a 2 tool job.

Seriously though, if you cut out the old seal the glass comes out very easily. It probably needs to be replaced anyway. They get stiff over time and with sun exposure. A new softer replacement seal will go back in a lot easier too. You don't want to split the old one while trying to pull it in....then you are starting over anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
AJLChase

Yeah, I got the rear window out just fine..but I didn't realy care about it being that it was a slider and I like the one piece rear windows...but my front windhshield had a what I thought a deep scratch..and as I got to making progress at cutting away and pushing that crack decided to go all the way down the windshield...so that's toast. But good news is, now I have my cab off and have everything that I'll wanna take with me when I find a new cab.
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

I used to always cut the rubber like mentioned above. it'll use a few blades, the rubber dulls them quick.
Then I started to work at an upholstery/old glass shop.
They have a tool that sort of like a scroll saw/jig saw. Reciprocating blade, but the blade is more like a super thick razor blade than a saw blade- no teeth.
This thing cut through the old thick rubber like butter! And apparently it is somewhat hard to damage the glass with it.

so if you're only taking out one or two pieces of glass- prolly just use a razor, if you plan on doing more, look into borrowing or buying one of those tools.

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote