The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
72farmer

Hood sticking up at rear.How to correct?

I am fixing up a 72 c10 and i have this problem.I put new hood springs and lubed my hinges and it did not help.I can push the hood down and then it goes foward towards front of truck and will it not open unless you pry it.Would new hinges fix it or what kind of adjustment do i try first?
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Hood sticking up at rear.How to correct?

There is a FAQ on hood adjustment but if the hood is sitting high in the rear near the cowl,the basic procedure is to loosen the hinge bolts to a snug slip fit.then have someone put pressure on the hood(lifting it) and tighten the bolts.Close very slowly and carefully to prevent damage to the paint.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
killer71

FROM A RELIABLE, KNOWLEGABLE BOARDMEMBER "Open hood. Hold in open position. Have someone loosen the rear two hinge to fender bolts and loosen the front one just a tad. Push hood up till the hinges rotate backward a bit. Tighten rear bolts on both hinges. Check alignment as you lower hood. 99-100 times, this adjustment will lower the rear of your hood without having to replace anything.
Ever wonder why a set of old hinges with old springs have a perfectly adjusted hood till it is removed one time and then all of a sudden the "hinges are bad"?
Hinges do get warn out but, in most cases by pushing the hood up when hinges are loose, you can leverage the hinge enough to get a perfect adjustment.
See GMC Paul's tech tips for hood alignment adjustment~~~~~
HUCK"
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
rcrahn

I had this problem with our 1969 firebird hinges. When the hinges were off the vehicle with no springs I cleaned them and checked for play. They were loose and sloppy.
Now some may recommend you make adjustments. And that may work in some cases but remember the root cause of the problem will still be there. The solution is to either buy replacement hinges (made in Taiwan) or have your originals rebuilt. At a place like this.
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/services.html
For me, I am going to have my original rebuilt for my 67 C20.
Think of it this way. On your 72 C10 you are talking about a part that has been in service for 37 years. It is going to wear.
rcrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
sameyrasmea72

Or you can buy new ones from a local chevy house, but the last ones I bought were 60 something for one side and 80 something for the other.