The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
1972CST

D44 carrier ?

Can I put a ring ,pinion and carrier out of a 3/4 ton D44 into a 1/2 ton D44?
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
rcflyer1234

Re: D44 carrier ?

I believe that you can yes.
rcflyer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

They are only different from the knuckle out-ward.....but, it is not as simple as unbolting parts from one housing and bolting them back into another. There is a lot of precision measuring and fitting involved, plus some very specialized tools...and it's even harder with "used" gears. It helps if the person setting them up is also the one who takes apart the donor axle, but that will probably cost you more money though.
I always recommend seeking a professional for ring/pinion set ups. It's just not a job for the average guy. Most people will only ever need to do this once and it's just not worth the investment of one time. Pay a pro and get a warranty....but don't be surprized if they won't do used gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
1972CST

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
They are only different from the knuckle out-ward.....but, it is not as simple as unbolting parts from one housing and bolting them back into another. There is a lot of precision measuring and fitting involved, plus some very specialized tools...and it's even harder with "used" gears. It helps if the person setting them up is also the one who takes apart the donor axle, but that will probably cost you more money though.
I always recommend seeking a professional for ring/pinion set ups. It's just not a job for the average guy. Most people will only ever need to do this once and it's just not worth the investment of one time. Pay a pro and get a warranty....but don't be surprized if they won't do used gears.
Thanks for the info Longhair. I have set up a new ring and pinion in a Fud 9in. and its still doing fine. I didnt know a used gearset would be harder to set up. I found a good used 4.10 ring and pinion w/ the correct carrier for $100.
This is alot cheaper then a new set plus I need the carrier for the lower gears.

Last edited by 1972CST; 07-01-2009 at 09:45 PM.
1972CST is offline   Reply With Quote