The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
72WiscSub

Making progress on 72 Suburban!!!

Well after a long three day weekend, I am finally getting some stuff done on the suburban. I wanted to put in new carpet so I ordered a new carpet, but as always once you get started it leads to more work.

The sill plates on the truck were horrible and the weatherstripping was rotten. So I installed the new weatherstripping on the three doors, and replaced the sill plates. This was my first carpet install and once I got the seats out (old rusted bolts are not much fun!!!) it went pretty well. Floor boards are rock solid so after a quick vacuum and wipe down the carpet went in. Cutting all the holes was a bit tedious but once done things went together nicely. I only cut myself a few times with the razor blade!

I added the new front door panels also. It is nice to have new parts, it really makes the truck look fresh. Now I have to save some cash for a new front seat cover.

Oh yeah, I got my new tires and rims on this past week. Yeah I know the center caps are missing. Don't get me started with Eagle Alloy distributor. It has been a nightmare!

Hope you all enjoy the pics. I hope they upload ok.
Attached Images

72WiscSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
72WiscSub

Re: Making progress on 72 Suburban!!!

Sorry, should have posted this in the Suburban message board area. Mods if you need to move this there, please do.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Way too beutiful to be in the pickup forum. I will be happy to move it over to the suburban forum for you.
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
attack eagle

That is just beautiful, and I don't even LIKE blue interiors!

Fabulous.
attack eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
72WiscSub

Thanks for the compliments. Has a lot of things to finish, and clean up, but slow but sure things will get done.

This is for my wifes landscaping business. Just couldn't see her driving something newer. I like the old style better.

I am hoping to put a new 350 in this year. It will be my first engine replacement so I am sure I will be picking all your brains for some good advice. I am planning on buying a new 350 from GM. I don't need some high horsepower engine, just a good running engine. Plus the cost seems right. If anyone knows of a smokin' deal on a GM 350 please let me know.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info and help. I find that just reading the post and doing searches for past post really answers a lot of questions.

You guys are the best!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Man, that is one gorgeous ride you have there!
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
72WiscSub

Thanks Number98. The previous owner had it repainted and did a good job. The interior was a wreck. Still lots to do. Mechanically it is pretty sound, but the engine is getting a bit tired.

The nice thing is everything you fix, replace or update is one less thing you have to worry about.

I must say that it is fun having an old vehicle again, even during the frustrating times.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
70rs/ss

WOW, that is a sweet burb and for Wisc, that thing is bordering on immaculate!! Very nice, can't wait to drag my next burb home!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

Very nice. I'm drooling. I love those blue interiors!
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72WiscSub View Post
Thanks Number98. The previous owner had it repainted and did a good job. The interior was a wreck. Still lots to do. Mechanically it is pretty sound, but the engine is getting a bit tired.

The nice thing is everything you fix, replace or update is one less thing you have to worry about.

I must say that it is fun having an old vehicle again, even during the frustrating times.
Mines got a bit further to go.... But I am loving my burb!
Attached Images

Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Muleman100

I just bought my 72 Burb and hope I can do as good of a job that you have done.
JH
Muleman100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

What a beautiful Burb, nice work!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
capev86

rusty screws?

with these old trucks, just go to the hardware store and pick up some boxes of stainless hardware.

i replaced all the screws on the headlights except the adjusters with stainless and also the side marker lenses. definitely a good idea with sill plates. my 72 burb has rusty door hinge bolts and i might replace those with stainless. the less things that can rust....the less likely other things will start rusting (its not called car cancer for nothing). the biggest thing i want to do on my burb is replace the open lugs with closed ones in stainless....more expensive on a 3/4 ton truck due to 8 lug wheels.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:37 AM   #14
shaneschevys
Its always something!

Very nice!
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #15
72WiscSub

Good idea capev86. Having extra screws and bolts around I am finding out is a good idea. If I have something apart I guess I should use some new screws and bolts to put it back together.

It is funny how the little details really make things fun!
Old 06-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
1956cameo

That is one stunning suburban. My favorite color too. I am debating on whether or not to keep my 72 suburban the original green color or re-do it in that blue color. Your pics are really pushing me towards blue.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
72WiscSub

Thanks 1956cameo. Blue or green is a tough decision. Funny thing is when we decided to get the suburban my wife really wanted a green one. Once she saw the blue and white combo she was cool with the blue.

Lot more work changing colors, but it will be worth it no matter what you do!

I see you are from Texas. Man I miss Texas. I spent a year and a half in Baytown. Weather was perfect. I lot the hot weather. Unfortunately my wife will never move south. Wisconsin winters are just too long. I have to store the Suburban 6-7 months out of the year. Very sad.

Take care. Keep us posted on the Suburban!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #18
capev86

not me....i love being in maine because i can't stand sweating to death and fighting off bugs 12 months a year. shoveling a little snow and heavy clothing is a small price to pay for that respite. just means that i have to put my 72 burb away for a couple months while the salt is on the roads. gives me something to look forward to each spring. if i lived in texas i wouldn't go 10 feet from a swimming pool for fear of getting heat stroke. all you cold blooded guys can have the 95 degree temps and high humidity....which will it be up to here in maine sooner than i care to think about.....

as for the burb.....totally awesome. i'd spend a little extra and go with a mild stroker engine over a stock 350. more pulling power for the same gas mileage. and hope your wife will be pulling all the landscaping gear in a trailer (at least the messy stuff) so that burb will stay pristine for years to come.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #19
Muleman100

In Texas we don't have to shovel heat and it never snows and I can drive my Suburban 12 months of the year. We don't need to buy extra clothes just for the winter. I like the blue also.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
capev86

yeah....no snowmobiling, no white christmas, plastic snowmen....things are great in texas....lol. i've seen much of this country and there is just nothing like new england for me.....mountains, woods, the lakes and the ocean, the red sox and patriots (and i'm not even a sports junkie). plus i find life is more rich with the passing of the seasons....i like a bit of variety. by the time one season is winding down i am ready for the next one. the minister at my church is from georgia and even though he has lived most of his life up here, he is freezing in 60 degree weather.....me....i have shorts and flip flops on and only wear pants and a sweat shirt when going for a motorcycle ride. my dad is even more hot blooded than me. texas has the alimo but new england has thousands of landmarks dating back to the revolution and colonial america and its all mixed in with the latest and greatest (boston is like a rich tapestry compared to nyc which is all corporate looking). i'm an architecture junkie if you didn't notice. thank god everyone doesn't live here......summer tourism season sucks but its a necessary evil as it's the only income we have now that all the businesses have moved oversees.. i don't have winter-only clothes....just use a winter coat and a sweatshirt underneath (i don't like long sleeve shirts). even texas has cold weather so i'm sure you guys have to invest in some cold weather gear as well. everyone loves their home state (or else they move). i am quick to defend maine ("the way life should be" is the slogan after all) but i'm sure texas has a lot of neat things to offer as well and some day i will visit (and probably haul tons of rust free old cars home with me.....lol). i just hate the hot weather all the time, and even more the humidity and bugs.... i get very grumpy when the sweat is running down my face while working on the car. you can always add clothing, you can only take so much off. the humidity has been killer the last couple days and the temperature is at 80 at 5pm! ok....i have been at this waaaay too long....

as for the burb.....keep up the good work......

Number98.....i say keep the green w/ white roof to be different and more original i bet you could tweak that stock color to really stand out and still be authentic!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #21
Muleman100

capev86 all good points and I would love to visit Maine, it is one of the few states that I have not been to. We have two seasons in the Houston area one is hot and the other is hotter. We do have an abundance of rust free vehicles. Come to visit between Oct and May when we have terrific weather barring hurricanes. I still like the blue better than the green.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
1956cameo

72WiscSub, that is funny that you used to live in Baytown, I grew up in Crosby which is only about 10 minutes from there. My sisters and I would go to the San Jacinto mall alot in the summer.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #23
72WiscSub

Spent plenty of time at the San Jacinto mall. I liked Baytown. Weather was great, especially December and January. Hard to believe it has been over 20 years since I lived there.

Have a good Fourth! I have a steering wheel to install and a new bench seat cover to get started. Should be a good learning experience since I have never installed a new seat cover before.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
1956cameo

Sounds like fun. Good luck getting all the new parts installed. Have a great 4th as well.