The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Rainbird

another old newbie :)

Hey people!

I have an 80 GMC 1 ton utility work truck. Now, now....
before you come to conclusions, my goal is to build the ultimate work truck/trailer combo in the landscape business. I have done extensive work to upgrade or bring back to stock almost everything. I am an avid fan of Monster Garage and I am custom metal fabricator on the side as well. Some of the truck stuff I have done includes:

New brake systems, 4:56 rear axle, 3" flowmaster dual exhaust system, new edlebrock manifold/carb, 120 amp alternator with 120 amp 3 battery isolator, custom 4 core radiator, everything that attaches to the block is new, I am waiting for a 350 crate motor, rebuilt manual tranny, electric windows/locks, I have a stock air conditioning system yet to be installed, interoir is about half done and I need a few body parts before I paint it bright red. I installed a Clifford Avante Gard alarm system with all the accessories. The truck also has an undercover strobe light system because I wanted it to look stock but it looks like a christmas tree when they are on. They also come on when the alarm is triggered. I considered air bag suspension to drop it to the ground when parked but they are too maintainence heavy for a daily driver. I am putting a DVD player/screen when I replace the stereo system later on.

I tow a 6000# enclosed trailer everyday that has a bathroom, roll away chests, 20 gallon water tank, 20 amp 110v generator, microwave oven, and all the gardening/landscape equipment you can think of. I want to install linear actuators so all the ramp doors can be operated remotely, plus I think it would be cool to have them open by themselves when we pull up.

I don't have all the answers and here is where you might be able to help me. I am installing all new glass on the truck. I am trying to be thorough and can't find a source for the rubber channel that holds the door glass in the metal bracket. I have all new window rubbers but can't find this part. Should i use silicon or something? let me know what you think...

I will post some pics after I wash the rig.

Rainbird
Rainbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
racedvl
Account Suspended

I have gotten that rubber at the dealer. You'll have to trim it. Dealships also like to use that same stuff for mounting gas tanks. So if they have no idea what you talking about try telling them that.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
CRRoy71

Sounds like a well built rig you got there. Have you tried LMC for the window pc.jyou are looking for, OH yeah, welcome to the board! Let's see those pics.

'92 ext. cab s/b 4.3L "Sparky"
'04 crew cab 2500 4x4 6.0L
CRRoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 03:09 PM   #4
78SilveradoSWB

Smile

Welcome to the board! This is a great place to get the DIY information on 73-87 trucks!

1978 Chevrolet Silverado C 10
454 BB, TH400
78SilveradoSWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

At the auto glass shop I used to work at, and at others I know of we used heated urethane. It come in tubes for a caulking gun. you can alsoget some kinds that dont require heat. Pro-Form windshied urethane is sold at many supply stores and easy to use. Make sure to use the adhession primer in the track and on the bottom of the glass as well. Again its made by Pro form and 3M.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote