The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

air switch boxes

Re: 1/2" Parker Air Valves for sale

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by fastbagged68
www.excentrixauto.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I surfed over to this place and saw their switch boxes... they don't have any real descriptions of any of their stuff. If anyone knows... does the 5-switch box do 4 corners independently plus a master up/down? What about the 7 and 9-switch units? What's on the other end of their logic circuit (I'm ASSuming they're using some kind of logic circuit and not just a bunch of messy relays and diodes)? Bare wires that run to the solenoids? Anyone ever used one of these controllers? It might be a solution to my dash dilemma... I could just toss the controller under the seat or something.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #2
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

XXL I have devised a ash tray switch box using Carbon Fiber board. You can cheaply and easily make your own using I perfer Momentary push button switches. And some diodes. Radio Shack. I curently only have rear bags but I have three functions. Independant control over bothe rear bags, and both rear bags fill and both rear bags dump. Very easy. Call anytime tonight if you have questions on how to set this up.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:48 PM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumster
XXL I have devised a ash tray switch box using Carbon Fiber board. You can cheaply and easily make your own using I perfer Momentary push button switches. And some diodes. Radio Shack. I curently only have rear bags but I have three functions. Independant control over bothe rear bags, and both rear bags fill and both rear bags dump. Very easy. Call anytime tonight if you have questions on how to set this up.
Thanks. I understand the logic and currently have 5 switches for mine... 4 corners and an "all." I was specifically interested in the 7 and 9 switch boxes they were offering on the site. I'm guessing that 7 gives you side and side and 9 gives you front and rear in addition to the 5 switch function. But I was wondering if they did this with logic circuits (more reliable, smaller, and so on) or with diodes and relays. Also, if their connection point was just wire pigtails or something else (one of the pics appears to have a Molex connector on one end... I was curious as to what they were connecting that to-- maybe some other "brain" type controller for RF functionality or???).

And I saw your thread and pics on the ash tray switches. Unfortunately, I have a problem using something like that...

Kenneth
Old 03-28-2003, 07:27 PM   #4
fastbagged68

If you really want some cool switches and a effient air managment system check this out www.accuaircs.com or www.accuaircontrolsystems.com I can get these.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fastbagged68
If you really want some cool switches and a effient air managment system check this out www.accuaircs.com or www.accuaircontrolsystems.com I can get these.
Hmmm... $2000. I think that might be a tad out of my budget. But thanks for the link.

Kenneth
Old 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM   #6
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

XXL We're on the same page here. Low budget!! LOL But nice.

Ok this is what I'm into... I'm making a custom center consol to house 4 gauges, and my B&M Mega Shifter. And a TV VCR for the back seat riders. XXL you could implement a custom center counsol with hidden switchs, and ultra bright White LEDs to illuminate the 4 gauges( which are cheap white face 7.00 each gauges! LOL ) in it cheaply. Like I said Very cheap. Like less than 30.00 total for full control. Front /back /side to side/ three wheel motion/pan cake 4 up/pancake 4 down. The works. Cheap no B.S. Also I'm working on a spring set-up to pull the a-arms up! It'll be trick. Call me. Anytime tonight or after 4:30 eastern tommarrow.
(406)675-8082

Old 03-28-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
XXL
Seņor Member

I have this now (with a 5th switch in my dash bezel)...

I'm going to have to hide it all (and more-- headlight, wiper, ignition, etc.) to maintain the smooth look. I was not planning on a console (also part of the smoothie-rod) look... just stock bench reupholstered. However... I may have to be a little flexible somewhere as I've got too much stuff I need to find room for. So I may do a small console, but it will definitely have to have a trap door to hide everything when not in use.

Kenneth
Old 03-29-2003, 01:47 AM   #8
dtlilly
Account Suspended

XXL, If it's a truck, you can get the formed headliner with the speakers molded in. It's plastic so you can add all the gadges and switches you want. The will be accessable, but up and out of normal line of vision. Just a thought.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 06:44 PM   #9
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Yeah I like to hide things to. Are you planning on Carpeting the dash? Or some material? Maybe in your case a switch box would be best. Slide it right under the seat. But I still think making your own would be easy.
(406)675-8082

Old 03-29-2003, 08:08 PM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtlilly
XXL, If it's a truck, you can get the formed headliner with the speakers molded in.
Yeah, I've considered doing something above. Two issues have been on my mind for doing this... 1) would the interior look smooth and clean until I slid in the seat, where I'd be looking at a 747 cockpit over my head?, and 2) how to get all the wires up there cleanly... the pillars aren't accessible from the bottom unless I punch a hole (which I certainly don't mind doing, but...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Reumster
Are you planning on Carpeting the dash? Or some material?
My plan for the dash is to cover it in gray vinyl with a 1/8" pad behind it and no stitched seams. I was originally going to paint it to match the truck but I think that would be too much color in the cab, plus I like the idea of the vinyl softening things up visually. Many moons ago I did custom car audio stuff and I was known as The King of Vinyl among some of my friends after I covered a basketball on a bet

Kenneth
Old 03-30-2003, 01:26 PM   #11
BigChevMan
My Thoughts Exactly!

as far as I know like any other hack shack product there is no logic or even relays..just the switches wired to the valves. I would stick with your ridepro panel and just hide it or cut it in half and put the gauges somewhere and then you could mount the switch panel to a small electronics project box and stash it under the seat.
BigChevMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:32 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

As for running the wires up to the top of the cab, you can run them up the back wall. It'll take some fishing, but they can be routed up that way.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:59 PM   #13
jay-dawg
chevelito

sup kenneth,
my creative juices arent flowing yet this early in the morning. Weren't you going with a new steering column with wipers and ignition on it? anyway, i thought you had come up with a linear actuator to bring the guages and switches down from the dash?

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 02:18 PM   #14
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornmail
As for running the wires up to the top of the cab, you can run them up the back wall. It'll take some fishing, but they can be routed up that way.
Good plan. I was laying down in the seat last night, staring at the truck for inspiration and realized there is plenty of room to go from the back as long as I don't try to bundle everything together (as in, leave them loose from one another so they'll go flatter). I'm going to sketch up some ideas for an overhead piece and see if it appeals to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by jay-dawg
Weren't you going with a new steering column with wipers and ignition on it? anyway, i thought you had come up with a linear actuator to bring the guages and switches down from the dash?
I'm still searching for the right column to meet my needs. The problems I have found are that I can't find a simple looking column that has everything on it. I can either have lights or wipers but not both... unless I go with an import column, but those usually have big hulking plastic boxes with all that stuff sticking out of it. I'm still looking though. As for the panel under the dash, I'm still contemplating that as well. I guess it's still up in the air for now.

Kenneth
Old 03-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #15
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

If you want to easily fish the wire through the back of the cab, just take out the interior light and use the harness from that to fish them up to the interior light. Just have to run 1 pull wire with it. This is how to fish the third brake wire I make on our Cargo/third brake insert.

All thats in a switchbox/or at least need to be are the centering/momentary switches and diodes. Eventualy I want my bags tied into the ignition, and a wireless remote.
(406)675-8082

Old 03-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #16
jay-dawg
chevelito

sup kenneth,
none of the custom column manufacturers like flaming river etc have one with both wipers and lights etc?

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 12:12 AM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jay-dawg
none of the custom column manufacturers like flaming river etc have one with both wipers and lights etc?
Flaming River hasn't gotten back to me, but their standard stuff does not have anything like that. Ididit told me they have nothing with an ignition switch in it.

I have been discussing the issue with a place called Columns Galore. Here is their most recent response. I'm still waiting on some more solid info-- dimensions, etc.

Quote:
Hello
Sorry for the delay. We can build a column with the following options.
34 inches long max
1 inch double D shaft
tilt wheel
Column shift
with windshield wipers, self canceling turn signals, hazard lights, horn, transmission indicator on the column, high beam headlight control, ignition lock and switch on the column, locking steering wheel. We would include the harness adapter that goes between our signal switch and the factory harness. We would also include the new tilt lever, wiper/ signal lever and shift lever. The main tube that goes through the dash would be larger than the original and room would need to be made for the ignition switch under the dash, so the dash would have to be modified. You would also need to build drop downs for mounting, The tube will have 4 nuts welded to it that you may what to use. We charge $535 plus shipping. There is a week lead time.

Rick Lanza
Steering Columns Galore, Inc.
888-326-5866
www.columnsgalore.com
This is currently my best hope, but man that's pricey. I may have to bite the bullet and go with it though.

Kenneth