The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
DRASTiK
Converted Ford guy

A/C and heat questions

My 84 suburban has front and rear a/c and heat. There are a few different problems I'm having with them:

First: The front a/c is cold, but won't blow hard at all. When it's on low, it makes a loud rattle noise, as if something's caught in the blower, but on high it doesn't make the noise, it just doesn't blow very hard.

Second: The rear a/c also makes this clatter noise as if something's caught up in it, and it only functions on high. it won't even cut on if it's turned to low.

Third: The front heat doesn't work at all. If you push the knob from cold to hot, the temp of the air never gets hot.

If any of you are familiar with any of the above, please chime in and give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Marine Corps vet -- SEMPER FI

Rice Haters Club Member #75
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

the front sounds like the fan is worn out
the no heat!!!when you move the control from hot to cool do you hear any vacuum? take the dash heat/ac control out and look for some thing broken ...that controller works off vacuum..ever hear that little door open and close under the dash????
mark,,,,,,, just some thoughts.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:17 AM   #3
apstguy
LED King

1: sounds like you shoud disassemble your ventalation system & clean the thing out.

2: Disassemble and clean again. Switch may be bad if it doesn't turn on at low or is hooked up wrong.

3: How hard is it to change from Hot-Cold on the slider? Mine is really stiff - if yours is easy, the metal rod is broken. If that isn't it, the heater core is clogged, or the linkage to the heat-cold door is busted. Hope this helps!

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 02:34 AM   #4
DRASTiK
Converted Ford guy

well I just finished installing a new turn signal switch and lever. NOT FUN!

I do hear the door opening and closing, so I don't think it will be that broken rod. It's not very tough to turn the lever from cold to hot, but there is some resistance. It looks like I'll be digging back into it tomorrow to figure out this heating/cooling situation. Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming. I'll post what I find when I dig into it. I wish I still had my digicam. I'd shoot an MPEG for you guys so you could hear the noise it's making. It sounds as if you're holding a baseball card in the spokes of your bike tire. The front makes the noise in the low position, and the rear a/c makes the same noise in the high position. ugh

Dave

Last edited by DRASTiK; 03-29-2003 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
Blue Beard

Sounds like you very well could have a blockage..............

I was having similar problems, cleaned out the system. Replaced the air selector (which was broken, and I didn't thing it was) now everything works great............
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 11:51 AM   #6
DRASTiK
Converted Ford guy

well now I feel kinda stupid. I popped the hood yesterday to add pwr steering fluid to my leaking system, and noticed that the heater hoses are looped back instead of the way they should be. That would explain why I have no heat. It also looks like the a/c lines to the rear a/c are unplugged, so that explains the lack of a/c in the back.

Now all I have to figure out is why my front a/c makes noise and doesn't blow hard and why the rear a/c makes a rattling noise when turned on.

The crappy news is that there is probably a reason that the heater hoses are re-routed. I'm guessing that the heater core is bad and that's why a previous owner re-routed the hoses, but that's just a guess. Also I probably have contaminated rear a/c because these hoses are just laying there, and I have no idea why they were unplugged either or where they go to? Well I'll keep messin with it.

Dave
Old 03-31-2003, 01:48 PM   #7
Blue Beard

Wouldn't feel too bad about that, whether or not we want to admit it alot of us have done something similar....
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote