The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
JP2120

Need help with side trim

I need a little help with the installation of my lower side trim. I recently purchased a Goodmark kit from one of the members here but am not sure where to start on the install. I don't have a template or any measurements for the mounting locations of the brackets.
Duke
My truck is a 1972 short bed fleet side. I am installing upper and lower trim.
JP2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: Need help with side trim

Not had my upper trim off so I can't advise there, but the lower molding has a fixing at either end of the longer pieces and there is also a couple of plastic clips with double sided sticky pads that sit in the middle to hold them tight against the body. The short pieces on the cab have only a single fixing clip. The rear bed moldings behind the back wheel have one fixing clip + two small self tapers where they meet the rear bumper, and the two front moldings forward of the front wheels also have one fixing clip + two screws, these are obscured by the wrap round part of the front bumper.
All the lower trim sits about a quarter inch below the crease line on the body, Also the larger chamfered top edge of the lower molding is upper most when fitting...in other words there is a top and a bottom to them.
If all your fixing holes have been filled then here is an old thread about sticking the moldings on if you don't want to drill holes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=327739
And a pic of mine for reference on the position of the molding.....hope this helps.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
JP2120

Thanks Eightbanger. I thought about the tape and have used it b4 on later models. Its easy to remove the residue should you choose to go without trim later if you don't have to worry about welding up the holes. I don't have any holes in the body yet but was going to drill them prior to painting.

I have my Vintage Air installed and also have the interior finished. I took a 454 and punched it to a 468 line honed and square decked. Using an Eagle forged and balanced reciprocating assy, Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr roller setup, Brodix RaceRite heads, Hedman Elite Series coated headers, Flowmaster 3 chamber, Holley Avenger 770 carb, Comp roller tip rockers. I did not use full roller rockers cause I had a set of 1970 era old school Holley short valve covers with oil drippers. I used felpro 1/4 inch cover gaskets with metal core to keep drippers from hitting rockers. BG elec. pump alum hardline to regulator and braided to carb. Rewired the whole truck and installed hi intens headlights with the harness. It has factory tach cluster. I built my THM 400 using the Kevlar clutches, updated drum with ducktail sprag, reprogram kit, 2500 stall hughes. 12 bolt posi with 342 gears. She outta run like a bat outta hell. Haven't decided what to do about traction yet, it has new Monroe magnum shocks all the way around. I hear airbags work well but will wait and see what it feels like first. Its about a month away from bein finished. Doing body work, have to paint, put bed back on with new hardware, drop in motor, finish hooking things up, mount a/c comp so I can get the hoses crimped.
I will take some pics and post them soon as I get some batteries for my camera.
Thanks again for your help.
Duke
JP2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
landsurvey1

Sounds like an awesome truck.
landsurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Sounds like you put some serious time and thought into that engine....coooool
I'm lookin forward to those pics Duke.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote