The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
gontek

Brakes

I have been having a reoccurring dream that I am driving along in my truck and suddenly I have no brakes.

Aside from psyhcological help, what can I do in real life to ensure this does not happen? What are the most common failure modes for brakes?

I have replaced my drums and pads, and all those springs and things that come in the brake kits. I never lose any power brake fluid. If a brake line goes out and I lose fluid, would I lose all brake or just power brakes?

If it happens I will downshift and ram curbs or inanimate objects to come to a stop, thats my emergency action plan and what I do in my dreams too.

I am hoping some peace of mind will stop these nightmares short, I am open to advice, so I can stop having these ridiculous nightmares. Brake lines are original, maybe replacing them will give me the peace of mind I need.

Last edited by gontek; 07-16-2009 at 03:57 PM.
gontek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Brakes

lines ddon't normallly burst, but it is not unheard of to have them rust out. This of course depends mostly on what part of the country you are in. I've seen Kansas trucks look like desert south west vehicles, and then others look like they came from Ilinois.
A visual inspection should answer questions on that. The rubber hoses from the frame to diff in back, and from frame to a arm up front, those go bad over the years... no way to inspect them since they go from the inside out. If they look swollen, then obviously ditch them, otherwise, no way to tell. Any failure in the lines or hoses will result in 95% brake failure... not just power assist.
The brake wheel cylinders in the rear drums can go bad, but they just leak and make a mess, not a "no brake" kind of situation unless your master cylinder goes dry.
The brake booster can give out with little to no warning, but is not a common issue. Same with the master cylinder.

These things have a good dependable system that if inspected and maintained, will serve you well.

As for the nightmares... well, I'm not a profesional, but I do have some ideass as to what causes this kind of nighmare to happen over and over.
Do you have a wife or co worker who comments on your "old unsafe truck" a lot?
if so, tell them to shut the heck up.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
gontek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Do you have a wife or co worker who comments on your "old unsafe truck" a lot?
if so, tell them to shut the heck up.
I think you have just nailed it.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

make it safe, and then you KNOW it is safe. If you know it iss safe, then screw what people say.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
tim21391

always keep a big giant boat ancre in the back end.. thats what i was always told
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Man, that's not a dream it's a nightmare! It's happened to me. The master cylinder went bad with no warning. I down shifted, pumped the brakes as fast as I could, and was able to create enough pressure to slow it down and then used the emergency brakes to completely stop.

Lukily I was in a country road. I eased it on home through back roads with the emergency brake to stop it and replaced the mc.

That would be my first thing to replace if it is an old one.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
WorkinLonghorn

Next time you have this dream try just using the parking/emergency brake before crashing into parked cars etc.
That system doesn't use brake fluid and is operated via cables and levers.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
neonlarry

One other thing I would recommend is change the brake fluid.
Brake fluid normally has a boiling point between 400-600°, but it is hydroscopic (it absorbs moisture) which can significantly lower its boiling point. With prolonged brake use (going down steep grades, towing etc.) you can literally vapor lock your brakes.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
gontek

so youre saying I should hook up the emergency brake - that sounds like a good idea too.