The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
easyrider

Leak at w/p bolt

I am finishing up my repairs on my 67 and putting water back in engine and I noticed a drip under lower radiator hose. I took lower hose off and cleaned again and put back on and still a drip. Then I noticed that it was coming from higher up. I thought it was the heater hose connection on w/p. Then I saw water slowly running out of the connection at the top passenger side w/p bolt hole. It is not coming from the water pump to block seal. It is coming out of the bolt hole itself. I took the bolt back out and the water flow got to be more. I put teflon tape on the bolt and reinstalled it and refilled with water and it still leaked. This is the bolt that holds the bracket for my a/c along with the intake bolts and exhaust bolts, so every time I have to take this bolt out, I have to take the a/c bracket back off. What can I do to stop a leak at a w/p mounting bolt hole??? Anyone ever had a leak there? I'll have the truck back together and ready to roll if I can stop this leak. Help!!!
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
Bentblazer

Re: Leak at w/p bolt

A friend of mine has a preformance shop and he uses teflon paste, most parts stores carry it. Works well. Hard to do at your point but try to dry as much as possible before applying.
1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
old man jimmy

I like copper coat silicon on the bolts & gaskets on water pumps. Never had a problem. Did you coat your gaskets good?
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
easyrider

I coated the gasket before installation and it is sealed. The water is coming out from the bolt hole, so the bolt isn't sealing. Thanks
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
pumpkin

I have run into this once. I used a copper washer between the bolt and the water pump.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote