The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2003, 11:20 PM   #1
chucks70

Starter and possible dist. ?

When I try to start my truck ('70 350 standard) sometimes tje starter does not engage the flywheel or it kicks out. It may take a few times but i t starts everytime I use it. I just know I'm heading down the road to being stuck somewhere. I thought it was a weak selenoid so I replaced that part. Still same problem. Teeth on flywheel are ok. There are no shims on the starter and haven't been for the 2 yrs I've had it. It started with no problem for the first 6 mos. or so. Any ideas?

The other problem is in timing. I have it set at 12 advance at idle. When I rev it up it approaches 0 and at about 2400RPM it starts back toward 12 advance. Could this be vacuum, weights or something else? Weights seem to move easy enough when pushed out with a screwdriver.
Old 04-01-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Class of 69

Chuck, did you set the timing with the vacuum advance hooked up?? It seems that is the problem... when you give it gas the vacuum drops off. hence the lack of advance. Timing needs to be set with the hose off and plugged for correct setting. On to the starter... sounds like the bendix is sticking. If you remove the nose cone of the starter, there is a gear with a spring and pulley assembly that moves with the fork you will see in the pulley. It could be binding on the shaft.. or the spring could be weak, and or the bushing in the nose cone may be worn , letting the shaft shift to the side, binding the bendix. Does any of this make sense to you??? This is a lot harder to explain than I thought! I could have replaced the bendix, and bushing in this amount of time!!
Old 04-02-2003, 12:01 AM   #3
chucks70

On the timing I blocked the vacuum hose with a golf tee. I was thinking that by the time I had it up around 3000 rpm it should be way off the timing needle like about 28-30 advance.

On the starter believe it or not I understand what your saying. I didn't think of it earlier. I pull the starter and check out the gear movement on it.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:02 AM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

The starter sounds like the Bendix to me, too.

If you go get a new one, it will be pretty obvious where it goes.

You have to pull the solenoid and disassemble the starter motor to replace, but it sounds harder than it is.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote