The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
gator2511

Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Well I'm running a TH400 in my K10 and chose not to run the tranny cooling lines through the radiator. I figure its hot enough here to just let the radiator take care of the engine heat and a seperate cooler to take care of the tranny heat. The engine runs cool no matter what conditions I'm in and the tranny runs at 160 deg. in normal traffic conditions. BUT when in long heavy traffic lines for a long time at idle the tranny temp creeps up to 210 deg. And when backing the trailer into position at home (very,very tight place) the temp gauge on the tranny pegs. I'm using a 6 pass tube and fin cooler mounted in front of the radiator. Not being known for half measures I have two 16 pass- stack type coolers coming in and each has a cooling fan on it. that gives me a 32 pass cooler with fans. Do you think the tranny pump will pump through that? Oh yeah, I also have a tranny oil filter up front. heres a link to the coolers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15900/

Last edited by gator2511; 07-29-2009 at 10:56 AM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
hvychve
To The Levy

Re: Transmission Cooler Upgrade

Yeah Gator I can feel ya , I installed a somewhat modified 700r4 in my truck and I pull a 22 ft. trailer at times with it and I have seen the temp. go to 230 d. F. I was told that it should never see 220, well I surpassed that number, I also have a cooler running through radiator and than into an external cooler, I have yet to figure out the benefits of running it straight to an external cooler and not through radiator also.
I did see the cooling fan and external cooler combo that summit offers, (you shown link) , not too bad of a deal, I think I would like that , but I just purchased some other goodies for truck , will have to wait a bit on next purchase, good luck on your temp drops on your side.
hvychve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
IAFF2407

that works for you guys that live in the sun belt, but up here or anywhere there is winter, you need the rad to heat up the tranny oil.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFF2407 View Post
that works for you guys that live in the sun belt, but up here or anywhere there is winter, you need the rad to heat up the tranny oil.
Yup. Down south go hot tranny to radiator to external cooler back to tranny.
Up north here we go hot tranny to external cooler to tank in radiator to warm it up then back to tranny.

I installed a temp sender in my tranny so I could keep an eye on things while I'm towing.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
gator2511

Our winters are too dang hot. We are lucky to see 30 DF during hunting season way out in the woods. Usually we are wearing short sleeve shirts and sweating all season. The last thing my transmission needs is more heat. In fact the last time I saw 30 DF was six years ago. I'm thinking I can switch one fan to reduce the cooling when I don't need it and cut it on when the need arises. I figure that if the tranny isn't going into the radiator to be cooled the radiator only has to cool the engine and the external coolers take care of the tranny heat. Of course that won't work up north.

Last edited by gator2511; 07-29-2009 at 07:09 PM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote