The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
NOS454V8

Cab Lights

Hi there all. I have an 83 GMC longbox 1/2 ton with a 90 Suburban front clip conversion on it. 4 inch lift with 33's on it. 350 4speed, NP208 case. A really nice truck. I like the look of the truck but I think it would really set off especially at night with cab lights. I know what I just said haha I want to drill holes in my perfectly good roof to install cab lights haha. Thats my opinion, I know a lot of people dont care for cab lights but I do. I know people have put them on before and my big question is, how in the hell do you run each individual piece of the lights for the harness between the roof panels? Use a piece of wire or coat hanger or what? Someone out must have an idea. Let me know what ya'll think.

thanks,
Justin
NOS454V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
74 C-30
Dually Pride

Re: Cab Lights

string, a nut, and a magnet. thats how I'd try it
personally, i love the look of my cab lights but i know alot of people who don't, its all personal taste

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

What style of lights are you going to be running? 73-87 STYLE O.E.M.? Or maybe a newer O.E.M. style with only 3 housings instead of five? Once you've chosen your lights and cut your holes, you can take a wire hanger and straighten it out. make a tight loop on one end and a larger loop on the other end to use as a handle. You can then slide this into the hole on one side of the cab and hook the wires through the loop on the end to pull them through all the way to the other side. Now for the hard part...... threading the wires down through the drivers side "A" pillar next to the windshield. This is a real major P.I.T.A.!!!!
If you pull your instrument cluster and look at the side wall behind it you will see an opening there where the wires will come out of so you can plug into the 6 gang ground just in front of the opening and into the parking light wiring near the headlight switch. 2 wires are all that's needed for your standard set up. Just connect the power lead to each lamp terminating at the far right.
Or you could do like I did and run 4 wires up there tying the other 2 into the front side markers and the 2 outside clearance lamps so that they flash alternately with the front turn signals. If you go this route, DO NOT HOOK UP THE GROUND LEAD TO THESE TWO LIGHTS!!! You will have 2 power leads going to the outer lights, one for the parking light power and the other for the turn signal power. and it will look like this when and if done right.......
Attached Images

overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
NOS454V8

I would be running the OEM 73-87 style ones. Doesn't sound too bad just time consuming but worth it in the end IMO.
NOS454V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I added cab lights to my truck, the hardest part was getting the wire down the A-pillar, I don't have a headliner or any trim. With a little work I got it done and I love mine.
Attached Images

1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually

Last edited by TexasJeff; 07-30-2009 at 06:53 AM.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote