The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
78BO

Anyone ever use the LMC drop kit?

I bought their 2.5ft/4rear drop kit and I have to say I'll never NEVER buy anything from them again. I was a machinist (cnc) for 10+ years, and the quality of their spindles suck. Hell they don't even have a tech line if you have questions about something.

Anyways, apparently the spindles did not get machined all the way. On the back of the spindle under the top ball joint they didn’t machine enough material off and that is keeping the brake line form being able to bolt on. There is a fix, bend the brake line. But I have to try and find a place that can do that. While this isn’t a major problem, it just adds to the list of crap that has happened. I’m no master mechanic, but I’ve held a few certifications in the past. This should have been a Saturday morning job, but it’s turning into a 4 day (weekends only) circus. The controle arm bushings were so bad I had to pay to get them put on (300 bucks).
Non of the edges on the spindles were de-burd, the dust bolt holes on the spindles were not drilled and tapped deep enough so I had to buy bolts for them, and the threads on the spindles have enough chatter in them you could almost us that for the threads. Anyways, if anyone has ever bought this kit from LMC and you let me know if you came across any of the same issues. Again, not that any of this is major, but running in to these little issues sure make a job go a lot longer then it should and that REALY ticks me off.

Thanks
Bryan.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Anyone ever use the LMC drop kit?

I paid only $40 to have the bushing pressed. Man, ya need to call me when you need specialty work!! I know plenty of people in town!
Old 07-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

I used to work in the shipping dept at LMCtruck and live down the street and visit the warehouse periodically for parts. But you are correct in saying there is no tech dept. there when it comes to the parts they sell. Its just a big warehouse full of parts and underpaid workers who just pull parts off of the shelves and then they get shipped all of america. Most of the employees don't even care they get a nice discount on the parts. Ive tried 6 different roll pans from there to fit my 07 silverado classic. still no luck. thats just my $.02
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
I paid only $40 to have the bushing pressed. Man, ya need to call me when you need specialty work!! I know plenty of people in town!
WHAT? lol, Well, I've never met you but I plan on it now. I think I'm just going to send the kit back. I don't know. I'm going to call them Monday. I might just send it all back and buy a kit from Jegs or Summit.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Chlsnk

Wow I was out there picking up parts and I almost bought a set of spindles , Glad I didn't.
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Stay away from LMC. They have great PICTURES in their catelogs,... but that's about it.

In defense of the brake line issue,... You have to tweak the brake line on about any spindle you use. I leave the line hooked to the caliper any bend it just enough to clear the spindle.
Look at Jegs, Summit Racing or Sport Truck Direct for Belltech or Western Chassis products.

Go ahead and do a 4/6 drop. (Spindles, springs and a flip kit)
Most everyone on here that does a 2.5/4 drop always wants to go lower. Plus the flip kit is cheaper than the 4" shackle/hanger kit.
Just my $.02.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 07-26-2009 at 12:15 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Stay away from LMC. They have great PICTURES in their catelogs,... but that's about it.

In defense of the brake line issue,... You have to tweak the brake line on about any spindle you use. I leave the line hooked to the caliper any bend it just enough to clear the spindle.
Look at Jegs, Summit Racing or Sport Truck Direct for Belltech or Western Chassis products.

Go ahead and do a 4/6 drop. (Spindles, springs and a flip kit)
Most everyone on here that does a 2.5/4 drop always wants to go lower. Plus the flip kit is cheaper than the 4" shackle/hanger kit.
Just my $.02.
LOL, I do want to go lower, but I also need to beable to haul with it. I just want to be able to get rid of some of the wheel gap.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

People haul with a 4/6 all the time. Your spring rate is still the same. PM member SCOTI. He pulls a trailer with his '74 swb that's dropped.
You won't regret it!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
78BO

Well, talked to a very nice lady at LMC today. But they can't help. They said that they can send me another kit or I can send it back. So I'm going to send it back. I want this thing running so I'm just going to put the old spindles back on it for now. At lest I got the front end rebuilt like I wanted to. So may question now is, has anyone had any problems with the factory break lines not fitting with the GF or Bell techs? The next set I buy I don't want to run into any more suprises.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
JCampbell
Account Suspended

I had to tweek the brake lines on my dually. I didn't think it was that big a deal.

$300 for ball joints…that must've hurt.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
78BO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCampbell View Post
I had to tweek the brake lines on my dually. I didn't think it was that big a deal.

$300 for ball joints…that must've hurt.
Eh, I'm keeping the kit. I've already spent so much getting the truck to this point what's another 80 bucks? I had some lines made and I'll be putting them on this weekend. HOPEFULLY the rear will go smooth! I mean there really isn't anything back there that can go wrong. But now that I said that.

As for the 300, it was lower ball joints and upper and lower controle arm bushings. It took the guy 2 hours just to do the bottoms. I'm trying to make my self feel good.