The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Question How easy is it to change the glass on our doors?

Ok My passenger window is hanging on by one corner and I am afraid that with time it is going to break or fall off the rail completely...My question is how easy would it be to remove the glass from the SASH CHANNEL ASSY and replace the rubber inertube like thingy FILLER CHANNEL, and sit the glass back in its place? For reference I used a "LMC" catalog picture So what is it all that I need? Do I only need to buy Number 15 pictured in th catalog? Or is ther more to it than just pulling the glass out and cleaning it then resetting it down on a new FILLER CHANNEL Part number 15 onto number 16 shown in the picture? Can this be done by myself who has no experiance with glass or is it recomended to be done by a window expert.....I am going to use the same window and sash channel assy since they are still good, I will take a picture of my window to show what I am talking about in the morning when I get home from work and post it.. Thanks for any help Pablo
Attached Images

Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 07-30-2009 at 02:14 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #2
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Re: How easy is it to change the glass on our doors?

Petey i'm not sure that pt 15 is the rubber channel for the glass looks like it may be the strip which fits on the outside of the door the window scraper pt.
I did mine re-using the old channels cleaning them and squirting a bead of clear silicone in them and beding the glass back in, I was able to do all that while it was still inside the door. Just detach the regulator from the metal channel that the glass sits in and you can pull it out of the door through the large hole, your glass will just rest on the rubber stop inside the door. You will need to remove the four screws (2 on each) at bottoms of each of the sash channels to give it all more slack and help with removal.
Some one else may have an easier method but thats how I did mine....hope this helps.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
mrein3

When I replaced the drivers door on my truck I wanted to use the glass that came with it. The door glass on that side was worn down by the rancher hanging his arm on the window without rolling the window all the way down. The 'new' door glass was inside the door, unattached to the metal channel assembly that the regulator slides in. The channel was laying at the bottom of the door.

I ordered the innertube like rubber thing from LMC.

I repainted the channel assembly with rattle can duplicolor I had laying around in the garage - the color didn't matter because you can only barely see it when rolled up.

My dad happened to be by one day. He retired after 42 years from the St. Paul Ford assembly plant and has seen how a lot of these old things go together so I asked him if he knew how to assemble what I had.

He took a small section of 2x4, walked out into my lawn with the glass, rubber, and channel assembly. He proceeded to whack the metal assembly on to the glass over the rubber with the 2x4. This was at my old house and I moved over 6 years ago now. The glass hasn't budged out of its new home. I figure I'm good for another 30+ years.

Putting it all back in the door on the regulator is sort of a PITA but if you search this site I know I've seen a detailed step by step set of instructions on how it all fits back together. I've managed to do it a couple of times now after repainting a few doors.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
john
member #16

Heres a FAQ link on how to remove it from the door.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=157539
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
gonline71

If you don't want to wait for the rubber from LMC, local auto-parts stores sell strips of cork material that can also be used. One thing to consider is the window placement in the channel. I did mine the first time and it was off a tad and it made it difficult to roll-up. Once you get the cork into position, the window can be tapped into place. Good luck
gonline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Piece-o-cake...check the FAQ's. Getting the glass assembly out of the door and back in is the hardest part...little like assembling a ship in a bottle but once you see where the parts have to go it becomes very obvious.

Old inner tube rubber can be used too.

You might want to check to see if your regulator needs replacing or at least grease it up really good. You might also want to check the little casters on the regulator mechanism. I have resurrected those before while waiting for new ones...they will rust up, stop rolling and wear out from sliding in the track. Use lots of grease in those tracks to prevent future problems.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)

Last edited by stllookn; 07-30-2009 at 02:31 PM.
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Thanks guys I have the window out already and had help with putting the driver side window in it seemed fairly easy. I could have bought a used glass already on the rail but Mine is in good shape and is tinted glass. I have already orderd my parts fom LMC unfortunately they were scheduled to be here today and I was so tired when I got home from work I feel asleep, and I didn't hear the UPS guy knock... Thank you very much guys. This is all I need to do then I can install my door panels.
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote