The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
ezslim

Anybody know why the heck my frame is like this??

The bed on my trcuk was always higher on the passenger side since i got it and i wondered why. I ripped off the bed today only to notice that the frame is higher from the passenger side Up until the rear axle the frame is straight but the two axle pieces going across behind the rear axle seem to the the ones in trouble? i will attach a pic. Is it a bushing thats making it unequal? is this a big issue or can i put something under it to keep the other side lifted to?
Attached Images

ezslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Anybody know why the hell my frame is like this??

Someone in the trucks past prob tried to pull something & chained to one side of the frame. The torsional forces pulled one frame rail out of parallel w/the other.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
ezslim

So can it be fiexed or can i jus add a spacer on the other side to just raise the bed from that side also? this is going to be a show truck not a hauler... or am i F********d
Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezslim View Post
So can it be fiexed or can i jus add a spacer on the other side to just raise the bed from that side also? this is going to be a show truck not a hauler... or am i F********d
It can possibly be fixed. Take it to a frame/alignment shop & see what they say or give it a shot yourself.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
mclairmo

Frame is bent and must be fixed. A good body shop with a frame rack can easily get the frame back in shape. Looks like the driver side needs to be pushed up. You will likely not be able to bend it back yourself.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 AM   #6
ezslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
Frame is bent and must be fixed. A good body shop with a frame rack can easily get the frame back in shape. Looks like the driver side needs to be pushed up. You will likely not be able to bend it back yourself.
i believe you could be onto something b/c the body lines were lower and not matchin on the driver side thanks!!any idea as to how much im looking to pay?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
ezslim

also.. how does my frame look? this is my first build. i know NOTHING about cars (facts aside) practically..

DO i have to fix the frame or can i put something between the frame and bed. Is this bend going to affect an safety or wear issues or is it not damaging?

Last edited by ezslim; 07-29-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
SCOTI

Re: Anybody know why the heck my frame is like this??

I had a frame straightened recently for $300.... prices will vary depending on severity of the damage, location, & the shop doing the work. Don't space the bed on something that out of whack. A smaller .250 to .500" spacer maybe for slight alignment issues, but not 1" plus for obvious frame damage.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
ll____b0t____ll

Listen to these folks dont try to rig your frame with shims and whatnot get it fixed right or get a new frame.
ll____b0t____ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Mayo
Cool Truck

My bed is like that too. It sits higher on the left side that right. I bet somebody hit it before I got it because my rear bumper is pushed right up against the bed on the left side.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
GruntMoanCough

Welcome EZ.
Looks like a simple twist, not too difficult a repair. You would need to tie down the frame somehow.
Best to take it to a frame/bodyshop, probably about 6 HRs to repair, don't know shop rates out your way.
Good luck!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
mclairmo

Have to get it fixed properly since it could adversely affect driving, steering and handling characteristics. The rear suspension/diff is located back there and may be slightly out of whack now because of the bent frame.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #13
jsmithbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntMoanCough View Post
Welcome EZ.
Looks like a simple twist, not too difficult a repair. You would need to tie down the frame somehow.
Best to take it to a frame/bodyshop, probably about 6 HRs to repair, don't know shop rates out your way.
Good luck!
You have a out of level issue, probably a twist. I would start at the center section of the cab. Obtain a Center line and then take some measurements from there. Best thing to do is look up a frame shop. The would be a little higher than a body shop but when the finish you can rest assured that the frame will be back to spec. Make sure the give you some kind of before and after meaurement. Should be a simple fix. 80 or per hour for about 4 to 6 hours. Just my .02
Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 PM   #14
ezslim

thanks everyone for the help... the bend isnt realli there around the rear axle it jus happens behind the wheels.. the last two horizontal pillars... I guess it was hit maybe? i dont know but this is an unexpected cost i will be incurring
Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
mclairmo

I've incurred many unexpected costs in my life. Actually, my life is basically lived from one unexpected cost to the next. I live by the rule a threes. It always ends up taking three times as long to complete and costing three times more than you planned.

Last edited by mclairmo; 07-30-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #16
ezslim

UPDATE*

i dont know if this is relevant or has anything to do with the frame issue but what i did notice while jumping on the back bumper is that the side tht is falling is very bouncy as opposed to the right side which is the higher(or normal hieght) is stiff? could it be an issue with worn shocks or springs??

Last edited by ezslim; 07-30-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
ezslim

bump
Old 07-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #18
mclairmo

Get the rear frame off the rear suspension and you can tell. In other words, jack it up until tires are off the ground and then support frame directly with stands. You can then determine if the frame is bent or if you just have spring sag. Also, with truck on the ground, measure distance between trailing arms and frame at same spot on each side. From the pics, I would swear your frame is bent, but who knows.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
GruntMoanCough

If you look at your bottom pic, you can see that the cab and the first two cross members are even and the rearward cross member is not even with everything else.
The twist doesn't start until after the rear suspension.
Seems that the left shock is shot (looks like it's leaking), maybe related to the frame damage.